Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

A cop who pulled me over in a 55 said I was doing 77 while I

Customer Question
believe I was going 70...
A cop who pulled me over in a 55 said I was doing 77 while I believe I was going 70 max. What should I do? Also I am from CT and this was in NY and I am under 18.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
2/18/2013
Traffic Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law replied 4 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

What were you ticketed for?

He gave me a traffic infraction

Thank you for the information.

Is this in New York City?

It was in Westchester County, Courtlandt Manor

Thank you for the information.

Your initial post: A cop who pulled me over in a 55 said I was doing 77 while I believe I was going 70 max. What should I do? Also I am from CT and this was in NY and I am under 18.

Response: You need to review the ticket very carefully and follow the instructions on the ticket such as appearing for the hearing on the case and pleading not guilty. Do not ignore the ticket. Then you may consider retaining the services of New York Traffic Law Attorney to assist you with the case, including getting the ticket reduced or dismissed. You may also ask the Court for a telephonic since you are out of state. New York State Courts do offer telephonic hearings.

You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys that handle traffic cases:

http://www.lawyers.com/all-areas-of-law/new%20york/courtlandt-manor/attorneys-and-law-firms.html?s=Traffic%20Violations&ns=y&st=q&form=LHOM

http://www.villanuevalaw.com/lawyer-attorney-1583754.html

I wanted to know exactly what to do.

Well, it is difficult to continue to assist you when you have already given me a negative rating instead of using the reply or continue button. I will opt out and let someone else further assist you.

Traffic Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 years ago
Your previous expert has opted out, but was correct in their response.

What you have to exactly do now is enter a plea of not guilty in accordance with the instructions on your citation by the date on your ticket. You can request a telephone hearing at that time and the clerk will mail notice first class mail to you with the date and time of the hearing. It is best to appear in person when you enter your plea of not guilty, because you can also ask the court for a conference with the prosecutor and if you believe you were doing 70 and not 77 you need to explain this to the prosecutor and ask the prosecutor to reduce the fine based on the speed you believe you were traveling. Most prosecutors are agreeable to make deals on these cases and will agree to lower the speed, which reduces your fine.

This is exactly what you need to do in order to handle this citation. I know you live in CT, but you will have to appear in court in NY to contest the ticket or you would have to hire an attorney to do so, which would likely not be worth the cost to you to do.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney