How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a ticket on Memorial Day for going 20 mph above

Resolved Question:

I received a ticket on Memorial Day for going 20 mph above the posted speed limit on 322 in PA. The speed on this section of 322 was 55 mph, but no one around me dropped their speed so neither did I. I was in the left lane, slowly passing those in the right while going up hill. I was not going much faster than these drivers. I live in NJ about 3 hours away from where I was ticketed. On one hand, I'd like to fight the ticket to get less points since no one around me was going 55 mph, but I don't know if it's worth it.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question. I am sending this answer to you only a few minutes after you submitted your question.
Unfortunately, "flowing with traffic" is not a legal defense to speeding. An officer has no duty to identify the fastest vehicle or to pull over all speeders. Instead, he can pick any speeder he chooses and write that person a ticket. This is especially problematic in areas like NJ, PA, etc., where the speed limits are very low and where it seems that most of the people ignore them. However, officers can pick and choose and get whoever they please in such scenarios. I know that's not fair or just, but that is the status of the law. If you feel it is unfair, you may wish to contact your legislators, as they are the only people who can change it. If I were you, I would retain a traffic ticket attorney to handle the matter for you. Your attorney can evaluate whether you might have other defenses but, even if you don't he or she can try to negotiate a favorable outcome, such as withholding adjudication, so that points are withheld and so that your insurance isn't affected. Representation for speeding tickets is often very reasonable (around $100).
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Should I get a traffic attorney from the county (or nearby county) from which the ticket was written?
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your message. You'll want one in the county in which the ticket was issued.
AttorneyTom and other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you