Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

My grandson-in-law got three speeding tickets in El Mirage,

Customer Question
AZ while visiting me in...
My grandson-in-law got three speeding tickets in El Mirage, AZ while visiting me in Surprise, AZ within four days. They were all camera shots....like going 60 in a 45 miles per zone. He owes $750 or more. Would a traffic lawyer be able to get any of these tickets reduced in price?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/11/2012
Traffic Lawyer: Tina, Attorney replied 5 years ago
Tina, Attorney
Hello and welcome,

Do you know whether your grandson-in-law was personally served with notice of the violations?
He received two letters in the mail from El Mirage Police. The letters arrived at his address in Lincoln, NE
Arizona courts have held that an individual must be personally served with a red light camera citation. Since he was not personally served, an attorney could likely get the citations dismissed, but he should not acknowledge the citations in writing as that would typically constitute a waiver of the requirement for personal service.

Here is a link that provides more information on this:

http://www.speedingticketcentral.com/Arizona-speeding-ticket.html

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the ACCEPT button and/or SMILEY FACE once I have answered your question. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Tina, Attorney
My grand son-in-law got two speeding tickets called SPEED PHOTO RADAR SYSTEM 57/45 shows his photo in El Mirage AZ and mailed to his home in Lincoln NE and one red light says photo entering an intersection on a red light also in El Mirage AZ and mailed to his home in Lincoln, NE. I would like to know if it would pay him to hire an AZ attorney to try to get these tickets thrown out of court, reduced in amount, or whatever? Or should he just pay them? They are like $750. He was not aware of such things as cameras! They do not have such things in Lincoln, NE! He is also concerned about his driver's license...points and his insurance rates.
Hello again.

Were you unable to view my answer to your question previously?
Yes, I did, but I still wanted to know if you thought it would be worth while to hire an attorney or just to pay the tickets and forget it
I most definitely think he should retain an attorney since he was not personally served, as that would typically be grounds to have the citations dismissed, and he would be relieved from having to pay any of the fines.

He can actually ignore the citations if he was not personally served, but it would be best to have them dismissed altogether so no action may be taken against him by the state.
Tina, Attorney