Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Is there a statute of limitations on Traffic Tickets?

Customer Question
Is there a statute of...

I have 7 Citations on my Driving Record. The oldest is from Jan '06 and the most recent is from May '08.

I believe they are all Traffic Violations such as speeding, however, there is no information online about each specific citataion. All are in Los Angeles County, 3 different courthouses. I have never gone to court or made any payments. They have all been FTA's. I know there are bench warrents and my license was suspended years ago. At the time I was young and extremely irresponsible. Now that I have a great job and have been in a relationship for over 4 years, this is something that I need to finally take care of. Someone mentioned to me the SOA on traffic tickets was around 5 years? I do know that California is offering an Amnesty Program for old tickets that is 50% off...

I appreciate any advice that you can give me.

Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
3/9/2012
Traffic Lawyer: traffic77777, Attorney replied 6 years ago
traffic77777
traffic77777, Attorney

traffic77777 :

Most speeding tickets are infractions, and the statute of limitations for infractions is one year. Those tickets are not your main problem, however, it's FTAs that may turn into misdemeanors that should concern you. You need to pay off those tickets, then make an appearance to clear the FTA charges. Retaining an attorney would help you quite a bit, but if you choose not to, be prepared to list every mitigating factor in your favor (you were young and irresponsible, etc.).

traffic77777 :

Here is some info on the Amnesty http://www.courts.ca.gov/15831.htm

JACUSTOMER-fpeg6io6- :

Does it matter if they have gone to Collections?

traffic77777 :

It'll make them more expensive but if you want to clear this off your record you need to pay them off

Relist: Answer quality.
traffic77777
traffic77777
traffic77777, Attorney