Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I just got a ticket for "failing to comply with a traffic officer"

Customer Question
with a code of 4-12a1...
I just got a ticket for "failing to comply with a traffic officer" with a code of 4-12a1. I don't know what the penalty is since the ticket itself doesnt explaing and furthermore I don't feel that I failed to comply with anyone. How do I find out what this violation means and should I fight it?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
2/29/2012
Traffic Lawyer: CriminalDefense, Attorney replied 6 years ago
CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer. I will be the expert that will be helping you today. I look forward to helping you solve your problem.

Here is the statute under which you were charged. The State would have to prove you failed to comply and you can certainly testify and introduce evidence to contradict the allegation made about your failure to do so. If found guilty, you would likely be facing a fine and court costs.

Section 4-12

MISCELLANEOUS

(a) Compliance with directions of law enforcement officers.

(1) An operator must at all times comply with any direction given by a law enforcement officer, a bridge and tunnel officer of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, or an officer of the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority authorized to enforce these rules, or a school crossing guard by hand, voice, whistle or mechanical device.

(2) A law enforcement officer, school crossing guard or a bridge and tunnel officer may disregard any traffic light signal or rule in order to expedite the movement of traffic or to safeguard pedestrians or property.

(3) Vehicle operators must present and/or surrender their operator's license, vehicle registration and insurance documents upon request of a law enforcement officer

What happens if I plead guilty? Is there a fine or points associated with this violation?

Regards,

Yes, a fine and court costs will be imposed but the court should not impose any points for this. Prior to pleadings guilty, you can ask the court for a plea offer to resolve this and if it is in your best interest to do so, accept it.
CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney

Is there a set amount for this fine that I can pay upfront or does it require going to court? I would rather pay and avoid going to court if that is an option.

Thanks again.

If you are required to appear, then you can not pay it up front. You need to read the ticket and see if it allows you to just pay it or a mandatory hearing is required. If so, the fine is at the discretion of the Judge but should be between $200-$150.

Why do I know if I am required to appear? There is nothing on the ticket that states whether or not I have to. There is also no fine amount specified.

You should contact the clerk of courts and ask them. They can see in the system and advise you.

Ok, thanks.
Your welcome. Good luck.
CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney