Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

DWLS 3rd Degree

I am from vancouver canada...
I am from vancouver canada. I was given a mandatory court date for blaine municipal court, in washington state, for a traffic ticket that I had received 5 years ago. I forgot to pay the ticket. I was wondering if there any steps i can take to avoid court and pay the ticket in full? I would like to resolve the matter without going to court as I am unable to get a day off from work to attend the court hearing.

I have been visiting blaine washington for the past 5 years, recently almost on a weekly basis to get gas. I have never had a problem at the border or driving in America.
12/8/2011
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to answer your question.

What was this traffic ticket for?

Do you know if an arrest warrant had been issued against you for failure to pay this traffic ticket?
It was a speeding ticket. It happened July 2006. I have been gone across the border many times in the last 5 years as the driver. I never had any issues at the border. About February 2011 I started to get pled over at the border when driving to Blaine for gas. I go about once a week. They stop me at the border and use the code "tango" when I go inside they never tell me why nor did I ever ask. They searh my vehicle and after about a hour wait they tell me I am good to go into Blaine for gas. Always the same routine since February 2011 on a weekly basis. However, last week they told me I had a traffic ticket 5 years ago and called the local police to come deal with me. 2 officers showed up and explained to me that I had an outstanding ticket. They never said anything about a warrant. They read meh rights and said I was under arrest. They didnt cuff me, only said it. They gave me a paper with a mandatory court date and citation number. Also it says charged with driving while license suspended 3rd degree. I can't drive to Blaine anymore they said until this is cleared.

Is there any jail time with this offense? How serious is this matter? Will it affect me going back to America?
Thank you for your follow up.

1)This is a criminal misdemeanor offense and carries a penalty of up to 90 days in jail and/or $1,000 fine.

2) While this is not a major criminal offense, such as a felony, it is a criminal offense that does provide for a penalty that includes up to 90 days of jail time, however if you have clean criminal/driving record and hire an experienced traffic defense attorney in Washington State, this attorney is likely to be able to have this criminal offense reduced to a traffic infraction, providing you also clear the original speeding ticket.

Also an experienced local traffic defense attorney might be able to waive you appearance at the pre-trial hearings at court and should be able to get this criminal charge resolved with the prosecutor by entering into a plea "deal" for you to plead to a lesser offense/traffic infraction.

3) If you do not address this criminal charge, a warrant for your arrest will be issued and you will be arrested when you try to cross over the border to the US, also your CanadXXXXX XXXXXcense might be suspended.

I would strongly suggest that you do not ignore this criminal charge and contact local Washington state traffic defense attorney as soon as possible to have this matter addressed and resolved.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.
Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.

Bonus and positive feedback are always greatly appreciated
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney
Thank you very much for your advice. I really appreciate your advice and I will be taking your advice and clearing the matter ASAP. Thank you again.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.com and Good Luck!
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney