How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 34754
Experience:  12+ yrs. of legal experience.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have been issued summons to appear in court for hit and

Resolved Question:

i have been issued summons to appear in court for hit and run in parking lot ( class 1 misdemeanor) with property damage less then $200.00. But i was not aware of this until officer knocked my door to inspect my vehicle and found nothing - no proof and said he will investigate further and came after a week and issued summon saying he has witness. For the date and time mentioned in the criminal complaint and police crash report i was not even in the parking place but i visit the place on other days to drop my child for math class. How should i go further on this??
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 years ago.
How to proceed?

Hire a lawyer. If you are facing criminal charges, you need a lawyer to assist.

The adage "a man who represents himself has a fool for a client" is often true. If you act as your own lawyer, the court will expect you to know the law/rules/procedure/evidence just as if you were admitted to the bar. They (the court) will not cut you any slack. If the goal is to win the case, hire a lawyer.

This is particularly true in a criminal case. if you are charged with a misdemeanor, you're facing a criminal conviction. If you are convicted that will remain on your criminal record.

From the information you provide, it seems like you have a good defense. A good criminal attorney can ensure you are acquitted of this charge.

Please let me know if you have more questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for the answer. Any idea what should i keep in mind before looking for an attorney and what could be approx. expenses in hiring attorney and even if not guilty will i end up paying fine and insurance claims??

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 years ago.
This really depends on the complexity of the case. What you described does not seem complex and all... if there is no physical evidence of an accident, and only one witness? I suspect the case will not take long at all. so I suspect your attorneys fees would be limited, perhaps a few thousand dollars.

As for insurance, the standard in a civil case is different than a criminal case. so it is possible you when the criminal case but still have to pay the insurance claim. but again, from what you describe, they have very little evidence even to approve a civil case. A decent attorney can ensure that you win both.

As for what to look for in an attorney, one with experience in criminal defense. particularly, one with experience in trials. Ask the attorney how many contested jury trials they have done... less than 20? Find one with more experience.

you can start the search for an attorney here

P. Simmons and other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the answers. Its just that no mistake of mine have to take the stress and endup paying attorney few thousand dollars....!