How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 30365
Experience:  Lawyer. Former judicial law clerk. Worked for District Attorney's Office in Traffic Court.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a traffic ticket with the violation 21651(B)VC.

Resolved Question:

I received a traffic ticket with the violation 21651(B)VC. Two days later I got a letter in the mail "A Notice of Correction" which changed the violation to 2651(A)(2)VC. I received the ticket in Southern California entering a gas station.
Which violation is worse and what do they mean?
K. Appel
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Cal. Veh. Code, Section 21651B prohibits driving on the left side of the road. It's a misdemeanor.

There is no section 2651(A)(2). Here is the full text of that section: "The commission may adopt such rules and regulations as may be necessary to effectuate the powers granted to it by this code." It's an enabling statute - not something that a person could be charged with violating.

If you meant to say that they changed it to 21651(A)(2), that refers to making left turns across a divided highway. The penalties are the same as for a violation of 21651B.
Lucy, Esq. and 3 other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I asked what is the difference between 21651(B) and 21651(A)(2). The city of Downey sent me a letter stating the violation was being changed from (B) to (A)(2). If it doesn't make a difference then they would't have gone to the trouble of making the change and notifying me by mail.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
If you look at your original question, you asked for the difference between 21651(b) and 2651(A)(2). I answered that question, but, because I thought it was probably a typo, I also addressed the relevant provisions.

As far as the penalty goes, it doesn't make any difference. It is the same penalty for both. Neither offense is "worse." That is what you asked.

The reason they changed it is because there are different elements for each violation. If you were charged with driving on the wrong side of the street, and what you actually did was an illegal left turn, they changed it so that the citation reflects what they can actually prove.
Lucy, Esq. and 3 other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you