Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

If I got a speeding ticket in County,, how can I ask to get…

Customer Question
If I got a speeding...
If I got a speeding ticket in Lewis County, Washington, how can I ask to get it amended to "negligent driving"? It seems like that is what majority of attorneys are doing.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
6/24/2010
Traffic Lawyer: davidhken, Attorney replied 8 years ago
davidhken
davidhken, Attorney

Dear JACUSTOMER - You did the right thing to request a hearing or a trial since you need to get the ticket into the system in order to ask for a reduction of the charges. I'm not certain whether "negligent driving" is better than a speeding ticket as this sounds like something that a more serious offense would be reduced to but you will need to discus the matter with the prosecuting attorney.

Generally speeding tickets are relatively minor offenses and a reduction is only for less speed or for some other non moving violation that doesn't result in any point so you need to be certain before you accept some other violation.

Dave Kennett

Hey Dave. Sorry I mistyped what I wanted to do. It wasn't "negligent driving" that I was trying to get it amended to, but rather "inattentive driving". As far as I know "inattentive driving" does not go on your record?

My answer is the same as how you would have to do it. The only person who can amend the charge is the prosecutor so that's who you have to talk to. The judge will not do this without approval from the prosecutor. If you have a decent driving record and the speed was not excessive this isn't all that hard to get but it depends on the policy of the prosecutor in charge.

Dave

Thanks a lot Dave. One more quick question. As far as contacting the prosecutor, will I have time to talk to him on the court date, or should I contact him separately (phone or email) and see if he would consider amending it?

If it is set for a trial then you should get there early and try to see him or her and ask if a reduction is possible. Many times they just want some type of conviction so they will avoid the time for a trial. If this is set for some other type of hearing you can ask the judge to set the matter for a pre trial conference with the prosecutor.

Dave