Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Just replaced HV battery and new aux .. car won’t go into…

Just replaced HV battery...

Just replaced HV battery and new aux .. car won’t go into drive or reverse and gas motor won’t start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you noticed an increase in fuel consumption? And how does the Toyota start—same as usual?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2008

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

4/1/2021
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 1 year ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello and thanks for posting welcome to the site.

A couple of things to check first, make sure there are 12 volts to the fuse box under the hood, open the red cover with the plus sign, you should have slightly over 12 volts, if this checks out good check the re check the orange service plug on the hybrid battery, make sure it is in the locked on position, by that I mean when installing the plug push it on the terminals the flip the lever in and then push it down to lock it and complete the circuit. If the last step is not done nothing will work, let me know if this helps so far and if you have any other questions.

Thanks..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
12.6 v on fuse hot side, plug locked in, HV batt drops to one bar and ICE will not start to charge. Also code checker will not connect to read codes now. I putin a replacement used Drive battery today from a same model prius that was said to be good batt and warrantied
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What do I do next

With the HV battery at one bar it should still start the engine, it's safety feature that is built in to not let the battery go below to where it won't start. To continue to be able to help I would need to have you check for diagnostic codes if you have a code reader that can access the hybrid system.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just plugged in and it gave 0 codesLast battery it gave a P080 codeOther battery and I still have triangle of death showingIt will activate but will not let me put it in R or DOnly nuetral and parkMy reader is actron cp9125

I'm afraid I'll have to opt out then, too involved for me to deal with here, sorry.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok what next
Toyota Mechanic: Daniel, Manager replied 1 year ago
Daniel, Manager
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
12.6 v at fuse box, orange plug locked in place but ICE will not start and HV drops to one bar
Toyota Mechanic: Boxer54, Toyota Technician replied 1 year ago
Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician

As I look over your pictures, it appears the service plug is not installed properly. The plug goes in, the lever rotates, then, you must SLIDE it in to properly seat it and make connection.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Which picture? Not sure what you are calling service plugYoutube showed me. I will try and lock in now. ThanksDid lock it in place and no change. Did not realize there was a two pin safety connectionStill getting the car and exclamation icon and red triangle. What is puzzling is the ICE doesn't try to start ancharge HV battery. I think its a simple fixbut hard to find

Did you try to clear the codes after correcting the service plug installation? Your code reader may not access the hybrid ecu. You may need to disconnect the 12 volt battery for 30 minutes or so.

Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok will try nowcharging so lets see what happensWow i dont know what i cleared but I ran a diagnostic with onboard computer display and cleared a LAN code internally. The car started and is running.batt isStill have triangle and car icon but it may go awayrepair todayI have 2 bars now and READY is showing... thanks for the help. I paid for phone call that I never got. If refundable thanks if not I will count it toward
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
RepairThanks guys for the help. Right now I have disconnected 12v to reset codes. HV batt charged up to 75%