Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2007 Toyota Sienna van, marker lights flash and operates…

2007 Toyota Sienna van...

2007 Toyota Sienna van, marker lights flash and operates door unlock unless key is in ignition.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the door switches?

Yes everything looks fine and nothing acts up until the key is removed from the lock cylinder

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. It had an after market remote start on it which I completely disconnected with no change. It seems like it is operating like it would if you were pressing the unlock button on the remote fob rapidly

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all I know at the moment

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2020
Toyota Mechanic: AMD, Toyota Certified replied 2 years ago
AMD
AMD, Toyota Certified

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your Toyota question, My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with your Sienna. Please allow me to assist. When did this issue start and was there any recent work done to the van?

Without the information I request I cannot give you a very specific answer to your question, However I will provide a general answer based on the information you've provided. I think you are on the right track with the aftermarket remote start, If you haven't done so already completely remove the remote start, Including all wires and connections to the car making sure you cover all original factory wiring that was exposed. This is very common with aftermarket accessories. Next I would make sure you don't have a stuck transmitter or fob. Remove the battery from all fobs if the remote start remove doesn't help. Also I would disconnect the battery for a while and reconnect and see if anything changes. I think you won't need to get this far as I believe the issue is indeed the wiring from remote the start and I recommend you spend a lot of time double checking every wire and especially watch for exposed wiring possibly touching body ground. Please let me know if I can help any further and thank you for choosing Justanswer.com

Just got this van from my wifes dad. The battery had been going dead in his garage for the last 2 years, but we figured it was because he didn't drive it enough. We didn't realize this was the real problem until it was given to us a couple weeks ago. At that time the problem was not always there. It sat out in front of our house for a while until my wife noticed the lights flashing one morning. Of course the batt. was too low to start. I jumped and brought it inside. After charging the batt. nothing happened for a while. The next day it was doing it again.
Not sure of the timeline, but the engine was replaced at a Toyota dealer somewhere around the time this started happening. Not sure if it was before or after.

OK I see thank you for providing the additional information. When you removed the remote start, Did you completely remove it including the wiring and returned all the wiring to it's original factory condition?

No I removed all connections from the boxes and the fuses

OK I would recommend you double check to make sure we don't have any wires touching or bad connections. With the lights flashing, try to move the wiring and see if you can get anything to change, report back and we'll go from there.

Any ideas why this goes away once the key is in the ignition. It stops right awayI was leaning toward the body control module at least I think that controls the keyless entry

Because by design when the body computer detects the key in the ignition it cancels out all lock and unlock signals from remote.

I wouldn't rush into looking into the body computer, It does control the wireless door lock alongside a receiver which receives the signal from the remotes. I would look more into the aftermarket wiring intrusion that could be giving a false signal of the remote

Ok, I'll move all the wires around and see what happens. If that doesn't prove anything I will remove all the aftermarket wiring

OK Sounds like a plan. Keep me posted on your findings. One thing I will advise, When you are removing the wiring, make sure you disconnect the negative terminal of the battery to make sure you prevent accident shorting of wires. Make sure all exposed wiring is covered with electrical tape.

Will do, thanks for your help

You're very welcome.

AMD
AMD, Toyota Certified
The problem was found from the first part of your reply. I found that the factory remote fob was shorting out and causing the issue. Thanks again for your help!
I’m glad the issue is resolved. Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.com. Please let me know if you have any other questions. We are always here for you. Have a wonderful day.