Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

The VSC and engine light is on and the engine is misfiring.

Customer Question

Ok, the VSC and engine light is on and the engine is misfiring. Can I drive the vehicle everyday for 4 days without damage till I can see my mechanic on Friday?
JA: Do you happen to know the code? Have you tried to reset the computer?
Customer: It happened today on Sunday and I know nothing about resetting the computer.
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Toyota Sienna 2007
JA: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No not fixing myself. I have an appointment on Friday for another reason but need to travel 3 hours to work in the morning and 1 hour of driving everyday till Th night when I come home
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It seems that with higher rpms it misfires less
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 12 days ago.

Welcome to just answer, thanks for posting your question

I would not recommend driving it for more than about 200 miles since the misfire can cause catalytic converter problems, if the check engine light starts to blink it means the converter is overheating, power demand on the engine will increase the risk of the converter overheating as will high speed driving, try to keep this within check and avaoid hard acceleration, going up hills, mountain passes etc. The misfire is most likely caused by a bad coil pack, every common on these engines. By the way the VSC and other lights may turn on due to the check engine light being on, correcting the cause for the check engine light will turn these lights off after the check light is cleared, just clearing the codes does not correct the problem un;less the cause is fixed, hope this helps, thanks for choosing the justanswer site and best of luck.