Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Heater of my 2009 Toyota Carolla only works on driver's

Customer Question
Heater of my 2009...

Heater of my 2009 Toyota Carolla only works on driver's side. No warm air flows to passenger side.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do the vents feel cold? Is there a coolant leak?

Last time I checked vents of passenger side never warmed up. And it was losing coolant, but that was fixed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took to local mechanic. But he could not find Heater Relay that divert warm air to passenger side.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It was losing coolant but it seems stopped losing after mechanic changed the radiator cap.

Submitted: 8 days ago.Category: Toyota
8/7/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 8 days ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, does yours have separate temperature controls for driver and passenger side?

Do you ever get mist out of the vents or a sweet smell out of the vents with the heat on?

Customer reply replied 8 days ago
No, no separate temperature control. No mist from exhaust pipe. No sweet smell.

HI,

Ok, give me a few minutes to pull some schematics

HI,

Ok, going thru both the temperature control schematics and the heater core schematics, the problem is either a partial restriction in the heater core, or the fins on part of the heater core ate gunked up

the first step is to remove the heater hoses at the firewall in the engine compartment and do a flush of the heater core with a garden hose in both directions of the flow. Then reinstall the heater hoses, fill cooling system and burp of air and test heater to see if good heat out all vents.

If it will not flush out in both directions, the heater core needs to be replaced due to severe restriction

If after flushing, it still does not blow good heat out all vents, then the heater core needs to be removed and clean all the fins and air passages thru it.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you
Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Toyota Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 7 days ago

Unless you have another question regarding this, at this time, please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE /3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

Toyota Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 6 days ago

at this time, please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE /3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.