Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The ac light is blinking and I just had the system replaced…

Customer Question
The ac light is...

The ac light is blinking and I just had the system replaced last summer:-(

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?

The a/c light and it starts blinking and just keeps blinking while blowing hot air

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2002

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I can see that the ac clutch isn’t engaging, but I am not sure what the cause of that is. I was trying to see if it needed to be charged since it’s new, but if the clutch isn’t engaging then the charge gauge can’t read properly

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Toyota
5/28/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 2 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

A common problem is a bad a/c magnetic clutch relay, it's located in the fuse box under the hood near the battery, try replacing this relay, low freon pressure can also cause this, do you have a way to check the static pressures or at least the low side pressure with the a/c off?

I bought the standard Freon refill kit with a gauge but that is the only one I have. I’m guessing that won’t work to check the a/c when it’s not running? Also, could you tell me which relay to pull and replace— I knew it could be that but was only familiar with the relays on my old Camry
Just wondering if your first answer is all I get— I actually told your tech all of that when I texted initially, so while the information is true, I don’t know more than I started with
Toyota Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 2 months ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello

another expert here

1st thing to check is that the AC rad / condenser is clear of any debris and there's nothing in front of the air flow to it, next ensure that the AC pump drive belt isn't slipping and if any doubt replace it.
Also check that if there's a pollen filter to the cabin air inlet that this is clean and free flowing
Next you can test components simply by checking the temperatures by touching them with the system running. with the engine at operating temperature and the AC turned on it should be as follows:
A hot compressor / pump
A hot high pressure refrigerant line from the compressor to the condenser
A hot condenser on the inlet
A warm condenser on the outlet
A warm liquid line from the condenser to the evaporator (before the expansion valve or orifice tube)
A cold evaporator outlet line
A cold low pressure refrigerant line to the compressor

If you get a different result from the above then suspect a blockage in the line or the component whose temperature is abnormal, this can be confirmed with a pressure test

Then if you're happy the temperature control is OK ( does it do hot as well as cold?) I'd take the car to an garage that can read the pressure levels of the system so the level of gas can be checked hopefully all it needs is a re-gas