Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert
Experience:  Automotive Expert
26942375

2015 Toyota tundra 5.7. as I was making a U-turn on the boat

Customer Question

2015 Toyota tundra 5.7. as I was making a U-turn on the boat ramp as I was shifting from forward to reverse it happened.. seemed like the parking break was on but it was it reverse and the truck would not move nor even rev up , pedal to the floor and it wouldn't do anything. check engine light came on and "traction control off" was displayed on the instrument cluster , shifted to drive and it was the same issue. killed the ignition and started the truck again and still the same outcome.. finally I killed the ignition again and left the truck for about 15 minuets just sitting and blocking traffic on the boat ramp while I looked for someone to tow me out of the way, then when I returned to the truck and started it everything was working properly but the check engine light was still on and traction control was still displayed , I made it home and this morning as I started it to come to work the check engine light was off and everything was normal. what the heck is going on and what needs to happen to keep this from happening again
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: stays on but its off now
JA: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I always bring it in to get serviced . oil changes ect..
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: less than 60k miles, 4x4
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.

hello what diagnostics have been carried out so far?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nothing . This happened last night , I thought I was going to have to get it towed
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.

the series of events and warning lights you have described suggest a failure within the throttle control system.

traction control needs to have active control of the throttle to be active, so that is why it goes off

the throttle system needs to be operational to respond to the accelerator pedal, so that is why it stopped responding.

you will need t have the fault logs scanned from the vehicle to verify 100% the underlying cause, but the issue will be some failure within throttle control, with the most common cause being the throttle itself going bad. If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! It is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question after you rate if needed - rating will not close out your question. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.

Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.

did you have additional questions?