Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1991 Camry, tail lights/break lights not working. Have

Customer Question
1991 Camry, tail lights/break...

1991 Camry, tail lights/break lights not working. Have checked bulbs and fuses. All other lights work

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?

Yes, bulbs and connection are good

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, have replaced bulbs and fuses, checked the yellow box in the truck to confirm no wires had burned.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Toyota
4/2/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 2 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello, thanks for posting

The brake and tail lights are on separate circuits and separate fuses, both fuses and the bulbs are good as you stated, we need to find where the voltage to the rear lights is lost so a couple of voltage tests are going to be necessary, do you have a volt/ohm meter or a 12 volt test light so we can proceed?

prefer text/email

Ok ,good, let me check my wiring diagram and get right back to you. In the meantime please check the back up lights and let me know if they work.

the back up lights work

Ok, be right back

okay

Let's start with the tail lights, turn the key and the light switch to ON

Unplug the connector from the light failure relay in the back, is there voltage to one of the the solid green wires?

Is the voltage to the yellow wire?

Ok, so the voltage to the relay is good, can you confirm that the white/black wire is grounded?

it is grounded

The problem is the relay or the wiring between the relay and the lights. Both stop and tail lights go through this relay, there are two green wires, one is incoming voltage and one is out going to the tail lights, plug the relay back in and check that both wires have voltage.

both green wires have voltage

The relay is good, a common problem is that the wires break in the insulation between the relay and the rear lights at the are where the harness runs along the trunk hinge, the movement of the trunk hinge over time can cause the insulation to break and the wires to stretch and break and short out. Remove the insulation of the harness and inspect the wires between the trunk and past where they connect to the hinge, repaid any broken wires and insulate them, check all light before taping everything up or use shrink tubing to insulate.

Thank you. Will have to continue later if this does not work, will not be able to check this till later today

I'm pretty sure you'll find the problem there, good luck.