Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

Trying to figure out why i cant jump start my Tundra. It

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: trying to figure out why i cant jump start my Tundra
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: it took a charge last night, upto 67%. But once I cranked it, the battery died this morning I am jumping it directly. The starter will not turn over. All the lights, instruments, gauges, horn etc are working though
JA: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: see my above comments
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 7 months ago.

Did you make sure you had a good connection on the jumper cable ends on the donor car? What gauge jumper cable wires are using? Do you have a push start system or mechanical key system? When you turn the key to the start position is there a rapid clicking noise and the dash lights dim and flash in unison with the clicking noise? Did you try starting in the neutral?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
8 Ga Wire. The battery was completely dead before I started. Now all electronics are working while jumping, except the starter won't crank. I jiggled the steering wheel to no effect. What sucks is the truck has an alarm system and it keeps going off every time I do something (put in the keys, close the door, etc. I don't recall clicking noises.

The problem is not the battery or the jumper cables at this point if the security system keeps going off its overriding the starter circuit. Toyota security systems do no do this. This is some type of aftermarket security system. You're not going to get it to start unless you can get a remote to shut the system off in some cases if you have the key in the on position and you disconnect the negative battery cable for about 10 minutes and leave the key in the on position reconnect the cable sometimes it'll override these aftermarket security systems. Worst-case scenario you have to have it taken some place where they can remove the system is probably faulty.