Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Battery dead flat wont hold any charge but will jump start…

Customer Question
Battery dead flat wont...

Battery dead flat wont hold any charge but will jump start and can drive but no power to anything I have a 1997 xtra cab hilux 4cyl petrol?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

No power at all only when I have jump start connected kicks ova easy no power to anything. Drains power from jump start

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Xtra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am And have checked all cables and fuses . I have a light meter connected to battery and it isn't reading battery is about 3.5 yrs old .

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Toyota
3/30/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
firstly you really don't want to jump start the vehicle like that and drive it around it'll put the alternator into max output mode and it'll burn it out very quickly.Depending on where you live some batteries only last 3 to 5 years, I would probably replace it.Then get a voltmeter and check the system voltage and make sure that the vehicle puts out like 14 and a half volts with none of the electrical loads on, then run the vehicle for 20 to 30 minutes with the heater, headlights, and any other electrical loads you can turn on, on, and then check the system voltage with all those loads running and the alternator should put out at least 13.5 volts.If you're not getting voltages such as that I'm going to stay then the alternator is faulty and should be replaced.If I have answered your question to your satisfaction please remember to hit accept next to my name because that's the only way I get paid.If you need further assistance please don't hesitate to ask, you can ask follow-up questions even after accepting.