Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I bought a 2006 Avalon a few weeks ago. Today, the check…

Customer Question
Hi. I bought...

Hi. I bought a 2006 Avalon a few weeks ago. Today, the check engine and VSC lights were on when I started the car. AutoZone found codes c1201; c1223;c1241; c1290; and p0352. I'm trying to find out what this all means.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Avalon yourself? What have you tried so far?

Had an alignment last week. thats it s far

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It was in a minor accident, causing the left rear quarter panel to get scraped up, but I was told all damage was just cosmetic. Bought the car from a friend, so I didn't doubt him

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Toyota
3/29/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 3 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

The most important code is the P0352 which is an igniter circuit malfunction code, the other codes can come up because of the check engine light, the VSC/TRAC computer stops communicating with the ECM and so those lights will turn on and in most cases will turn off once the check engine light is re set and the problem fixed.

Please give me a few minutes and I will come back with some things to try to fix this.

T​he problem is the ignition coil on cylinder #2, replace this coil and also the spark plug, replace all spark plugs if they have not been replaced in about 90,000 miles. Fortunately this coil is easy to get to as it is in the "front" cylinder head near the radiator (picture attached) it's the one farthest to the left standing in front, after replacing it clear the codes by disconnecting the battery negative cable for a minute.

dbfada7d-9f90-4227-91b0-c8f81caca7e9_2010-12-30_201439_1.gif

Please click on the highlighted link

Thank you for the info! Before doing anything to the car, the lights have al turned back off on their own. Should I still replace the coil and spark plugs, or could this have been a fluke thing?
Thank you for the info! Before doing anything to the car, the lights have all turned back off on their own. Should I still replace the coil and spark plugs, or could this have been a fluke thing?

Those coils can have intermittent problems so I would recommend replacing it anyway, you can get them for a reasonable price from most of the large autoparts stores. The front spark plugs are relatively easy to replace but the plugs near the firewall are difficult to get out, there's just not much room, it's almost easier to just remove the top part of the intake chamber, more time consuming but easier to get the plugs out, needless to say, don't replace them unless you have to, check the front ones it should give you a good idea of what the rear ones look like and go from there.