Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2007 toyota camry. I drove it all day and once I…

Customer Question
I have a 2007 toyota...
I have a 2007 toyota camry. I drove it all day and once I got home I tried to leave but the car wouldn't start. The fob will unlock, lock, and pop the trunk. It is a push start no ignition. When I push the button it won't crank or run as if it has a kill switch. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Toyota
3/29/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Do you have a voltmeter to check the voltage of the battery? When you turn the headlights on and turn the wipers on do the wipers go real slow and did the headlights appear to be dim? Do you have a generic code read

It was 12.7 volts. Everything else works fine wipers etc. Just had the alternator replaced 3wks ago. That's why I changed the old battery with a brand new one. Had it tested before I left the store. What is a generic code read?

A generic code reader is simply a code reader that is plug-and-play and plugs into the diagnostic port of the left side of the instrument panel to see if there any codes that may be set in the engine control computer causing it not to start. When you push the brake pedal do the brake lights come on? Does the little LED in the start button's remain orange or does it turn green when you push the brake pedal?

No I don't have a generic code read. Yes the brake lights come on and the light turns green on the start button when I press the brake pedal.

Anytime was this jumped backwards or the battery installed backwards even for a split second? When you have your foot on the brake and hit the start button are you getting any kind of rapid clicking noises coming from the engine compartment and do the lights on the display flicker in unison with the clicking?

No clicking under the hood but the instrument lights blink like twice, the same way it dies during regular starting

Are you certain that this was not jumpstarted backwards or the battery installed backwards at all? Are you certain that the cable ends at the battery are clean and secure?

I'm certain that it was not jumped backwards or battery installed backwards at any time. When this problem occurred it led me to change the battery. Haven't had any problems before then. I parked my car went into the house and came back out and when I try to start it it would not start

The only thing I can tell you or the only way to proceed is as follows. I would want to confirm that you have current flow from the battery even though the voltage is there there may not be enough current flow to engage the starter. By that I mean put some type of jumper cables or jump pack on it to give it extra boost for the current flow. Then I would want to get a code reader and plug it into the port under the instrument panel to see if there are any codes in the computer that would indicate why it's not wanting to start. You can purchase a generic code reader these days for less than $50 and even borrow or rent one for me local parts store. Once these two things are ruled out then it gets kind of complicated is it a starter issue or is it ignition related. It's probably not anything with the immobilizer the immobilizer system will not keep the engine from cranking over the engine will still crank over it just won't start if it's an immobilizer issue.