Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2004 Toyota Camry with 140 k miles. About a month…

Customer Question
second opinion] Hi I have a...
second opinion] Hi
I have a 2004 Toyota Camry with 140 k miles. About a month ago I got an oil change and rotation of my tires. my cars steering wheel started to shake when I go on the highway thereafter. I took it to a mechanic and he inspected my car. He said all the levels of fluids looked good and that the steering wheel Issue may be balancing of the tires. So he sent me to get my tires blanched and so I did. When I get in the car to drive on the highway the shaking is ten times worse. I call the tire guy because that’s what the first mechanic said to do the tire guy said he would need to spend more time on it to find out why it’s still shaking. He said that it’s the quality of my tires or some pipe near my transmission? Idk I want answers. Could it be the quality of my
Tires? They’re about 1 year old. What else could it be? Is there anything I can do to find the answer myself? Thank you
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Toyota
3/29/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

They just do a generic balance of the tires for the have a good machine that does Road force balance? When you get on the highway does it seem to take a little bit for the wheel to start to shake?

Yeah they did a generic balance. Idk what machine they used. Especially when I get on the highway at faster speeds that the steering wheel starts to shake.

There are only two things that will cause the steering wheel shake like that a rim out of round or tire out of balance or given the age what you may find is that the calipers are starting to drag causing the rotors to over heat then that causes the steering wheel to shimmy violently over time. When it starts doing this if you can get off to a safe area get out of the vehicle and put your hand down by the wheels next to the rims and see if the wheels feel extremely hot on one side or the other up front? If it is the caliper is dragging. This is a common misdiagnosed problem provided the tires and wheels have been deemed to be balanced and correct this is probably the only option. That is provided all the suspension components have been inspected and there's nothing loose like a tie rod or ball joint and so on. If you need any other specific information feel free to reply and I will get back to you otherwise if you have not done so please do not forget to rate the assistance I provided you today at three or higher and a 5 would be awesome thank you.