Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2012 Prius C steering wheel locked up, key will not turn…

2012 Prius C steering...

2012 Prius C steering wheel locked up, key will not turn past lock position.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you applied constant pressure to the steering wheel while turning the key in the ignition?

Yes in both direction as far as the steering will go (not much)

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?

Turning the steering wheel, while applying brake, in Park position, and trying the hard key to start

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Would a car locksmith be able to deal with the problem?

3/29/2018
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue
In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sunday through Friday from around 5 am to 9 pm Eastern time.Zone If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.
If you see a call request on your screen ,That is an automated feature the web site offers all customers.

Are you saying that it want start when key inserted in slot and start button pushed ? or the steering wheel will not turn ?

has the 12 volts small battery in rear trunk checked ?

this 2012 car and we are in 2018 ,so we at 5 years ?

do you have one or 2 key fobs ?

Are you looking for the most possible causes or you are repairing it yourself .

Please Let Me Know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

I need to move the car for street cleaning tomorrow. There is no start button, only by key. What's a key fob? Where is the battery in the trunk? Can it be jumped just to move the car?

SO you only have a key to trun in an ignition switch ,yours is not key less start with a button i got you ?

so the key is not turning pass ,lock, have you tried turning the steering wheel left and right at same time turning key ,any difference

do you know where is the 12 volt battery in rear ?

has the key been giving you problem prior to this or first time it got stuck ?

Can you try below procedure ,maybe it is a glitch and when can resetting it so you can move it for tonight ?

Master Reset

1-Disconnect Both Battery Cables ,Positive & Negative .

2- Touch Cables With Each Other For 60 Secs ( this will take any residual power in the Harness to Reset the Vehicle Modules )

3- Wait 30 min

4- Close all doors and trunk

5- Reconnect Battery Positive First

6- Use The Key in The Driver Side Door

Lock Cylinder to Lock it & Unlock

7- Enter vehicle and try to Start it .

on turning wheel back and forth. This is the first time this has happened. The key is my back up and have not been in use that long. I do not know where the 12 volt battery is. I'm looking through my manual to see if it shows.

you said the key is a back up , did go in switch easy ?

is it for it

battery rear trunk , passenger side

there will be a cover to remove to see battery

BATTERY LOCATION AND REMOVE AND REPLACE CLICK ON LINK TO VIEW LOCATION

Key goes in with no problem. I will try above procedure. Is it alright to touch the positive and negative cables?

The switch could be our issue also ,

YES SIRE ,TOUCHING THEM WILL TAKE ANY RESIDUAL POWER OUT WIRING HARNESS TO RESET ,REMEMBER WHEN WE TAKE THEM BOTH OFF ,WE TOOK POWER SOURCE OUT OF THE LOOP (THE BATTERY),THERE IS NO MORE POWER ,SO TOUCHING THEM WITH EACH OTHER WILL NOT CAUSE ANY SPARK ,

JUST GET A TOWEL AND LAY THEM ON IT SO WE ARE NOT TOUCH PART OF FRAME OR WRAP A TOWEL AROUND THEME

if u have wd 40 and we have a mechanical ignition lock cylinder, try spraying in the key hole and wiggle key

How will I be able to get back to you?

1- make sure battery has 12 volts and holding , low or weak battery will prevent from turning ?

2- do reset

3- check all fuses in the car ,

if none above worked then if it is not a Key mechanical issue then You will need a Capable Factory scanner or equivalent to Read the Fault codes in the Modules needed here ,that is done by hooking up the scanner to your vehicle DLC data port connector and based on these faults we can pull up a Pin Point Troubleshoot and be Accurate ,If you do get the Faults Read ,Please post them back here for me and I can Help You Further on it and send you the pin point troubleshoot to perform or the most possible causes for it .

READ BELOW HOW TO GET BACK IN TOUCH WITH ME

I SEE A PHONE CALL REQUEST BUT NOT NEEDED HERE AND WILL COST YOU MORE MONEY , WE CAN DO LSTER IF NEED BE

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?Chad Farhat?ASE Certified Technician

Chad Farhat

check that you have brake lights when pedal pressed ,a defective brake light switch might caused that do ,

keep me updated , just reply back here when ready

Thank you for the Rating :)

If you need my assistance in the future, Start your Question with (FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY) or Go to my profile page

You can also add me as Favorite expert for any future questions

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-chadfarhat/?rpt=3800

FUSE BOXES LOCATION,CLICK ON LINK TO VIEW

6Bucs
6Bucs, Senior Master Tech
Phone call session started