Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Clicking noise from engine. Increases frequency with engine…

Customer Question
Clicking noise from engine...

Clicking noise from engine. Increases frequency with engine speed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you double-checked the battery? And are the wiring connections to and from the starter in good shape?

The battery is new and the connections are fine. Metal was found in the oil.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2005 Pontiac Vibe

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Vibe yourself? What have you tried so far?

So matrix

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Toyota
3/29/2018
Toyota Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are quite a few things that could cause an internal engine noise including main and rod bearings, valvetrain issues, pistons and wristpins, and cam timing related issues. If the noise is more of a tick then it is more likely to be valvetrain related, if it's a knock then it's going to be bottom end.

Do you have a picture of the metal that was found?

Are you able to upload a recording of the noise?