Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Exact problem as listed in Camry Hybrid 2009 Camry Hybrid…

Exact problem as listed...

Exact problem as listed in Camry Hybrid 2009 Camry Hybrid Knocking at Cold Start and you posted this video link:

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoxZGQzSD5o

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?

My mechanic called and they cannot replicate the problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I was going to take the car in for service anyway as it is beginning to burn some oil and you can see smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe. It's oil smoke not coolant as far as I can determine and the injectors may need replacing. Car has been very trouble free with only some struts replaced. Had 134K on it.

3/28/2018
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Does the noise ever go away if you let it run or raise the rpm?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I let the car sit for a day and then i disconnected the battery in the trunk to see if that would reset things. I reconnected the battery after 10 minutes and it started up no problem. I drove it to the mechanics yesterday and they callex this morning. They cannot get the problem to replicate. I did show him the same YouTube video you listed first on your page where i found your information. I had found that video already on my own. Mechanis said it sounded lime a timing belt or cam shaft out of synch. I am thinking not a cam shaft issue or the engine would not start and run again as if notthing ever happened. The out of synch timing belt seemed likely but
1) what would have caused this
2) why did it go away
please keep in mind when the engine actwd up like this the engine jusf wouldn't start nor did I repeat it for fear of doing serious damage. What the heck is going on here?

Have you ever had a scan test done to see if there any cylinder misfire codes set? Are you using a lot of oil a qt. per 500 miles or more?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
First did you watch this video yet?
https://youtu.be/UoxZGQzSD5o
This is not my video but it is exactly what I experiencex at cold start up on myb2009 Camry Hybrid.
No coxes afe coming up from mechanic scan or my less expensive unit.
Oil use/burn is about 1/2 qt per 1500 miles with vehicle at 134000+/-

Just to clarify you're saying that this noise only occurred once and since then it is run perfectly normal with no loss of power? Yes I did listen to the video. Not flashing check engine light or other warning lights?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
that is correct.
I do not recall if there was a flashing engine light as i suspected trying to start it again my ruin the engine. As I said I disconnected and the after 10 mknuges reconnected the battery in the trunk and then everything seemed ok. Wefe it not for the gentlman who posted the video you watched I would be dealing with another chapter in the life of Michigan J. Frog
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Singing frog from old Warner Brothers Cartoon.

The only time I've ever heard this type of knocking noise on start up is if there cylinder misfire that causes the Atkinson engine which is a slightly off-center engine as far the crankshaft to the vertical centerline of the block causes the crank to slightly kick back and then this causes the flex plate that drives the HV transaxle to knock severely. This can happen if the engine does not start up and the electric motor in the transmission is spinning the engine to make it run or if you get even the slightest misfire it will cause a severe knocking noise. It's unlikely anything with the cam timing camshafts or timing control valves or timing chain. It would not even start at that point and the problem would be there all the time. My suggestion is to pull the spark plugs out check and/or replace them run a compression test and make sure the cylinder compression is above 160 psi.

This engine was notorious for using well there are updated pistons and race available. They were covering them under an extended warranty.. You need to contact your local dealer to see if your vehicle is still covered. That would explain the oil consumption issue.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank you Skyvisons. I will relate al of this to my Mechanic and see if this offers him some assistance in what to look for or if the dealer will honor any warranty extension. Were there any TSB on these issues I can refer to?

If you have the vehicle identification number I can check the availability or applicability.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
4T1BB46K99U069175
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
were you able to find anything on this VIN? Would this vehicle be covered under an extension to the warrantee?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Once again the VIN is 4T1BB46K99U069175, or at least that is what it shows at the Virginia DMV

The CSP number is ***** for oil consumption and according to the vehicle identification number your date of first use was March 18 of 2008. The secondary coverage was good for 10 years and 150,000 miles from the date of first use which means you are approximately 10 days out of warranty :-( sometimes dealerships will work with you if you are just slightly out on time using more than one qt. for 1300 miles as the guideline.

Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Skyvisions
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician