Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

March 6, 2018 was in bed sick when neighbor came banging on…

Customer Question
March 6, 2018 was...

March 6, 2018 was in bed sick when neighbor came banging on my door and let me know that my truck had just hit a neighbors mini-van down the street. It had not been driven for 3 days because everyone sick. Neighbor had also tried to slow down my truck. Called CHP and reported the accident. The tow truck driver came back after he had loaded my truck and let me know that it had rolled forward after he put it in park prior to putting it on the tow truck. He had to put on emergency brake so it wouldn't his his rig. Now I worked on my cars for 20 years prior to this and never seen anything like this.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have your brakes ever been replaced? Have you checked the brake fluid?

Always check my fluids and there was no problem. Even checked fluids on this lousy rental and found low level oil and coolant

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your March yourself? What have you tried so far?

My truck is at Chuck Patterson Toyota dealer in Chico. So far they are just fixing the body damage. Vehicles don't usually go for a drive after 3 days of inactivity. Only reasons I know are usually stick shift left out of gear only I have an automatic tranny and*****

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I want to know what caused this problem. It is not normal. and I am not careless. I am 69. Does the snow and cold contribute to this problem. This is second Toyota Tundra to have had problems. Beginning to think I need to change brands. Struts collapsed and air bags didn't deploys. And now this truck

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Toyota
3/27/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 2 months ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** year is this, and is it an automatic trans?

2014 Toyota Tundra Special Edition,***** Yes it is an automatic.. It had been parked out front of my house for 3 days when it decided to go for a drive and hit a neighbors minivan. Dealership working on body damage but absolutely no answers to moving problem. Truck still in shop.

ok, this is going to be a broken parking pawl inside the transmission, this is what keeps it from rolling, when in park, did you say that the car rolls in park?