Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2006 toyota prius no dash engine warning on but when i take…

Customer Question
2006 toyota prius no...

2006 toyota prius no dash engine warning on but when i take of and accelerate it sounds like its scraping litely sound almost like sanding a metal

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Oh about ayear ago progressing a little louder sorry for the spelling

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?

Took it to toyota dealer told it was the tranie but at end of envoice it not sure

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Toyota
3/28/2018
Toyota Mechanic: gomi_otaku, Technician replied 3 months ago
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician

Is this sound happening only when vehicle is moving? And it is consistent with speed, faster sound the faster you go? Does it change or go away when you apply the brakes, or change when you shift into neutral while rolling?

I could here it when i driving and it stops when i come to a stop but the car runs great

Does the sound change when you apply the brakes? Im thinking that something is hanging up and rubbing, either in the brake pads or the regenerative braking system

Never noticed i will check today but i put it on reverse and it doesn't make that noise

Sometimes when the brakes wear, it develops a slight lip at the outer edge of the rotor, or on the trailing edge of the pad. With the first one, you may hear it all the time, or sometimes only when braking. With the latter you may hear it in forward driving but not in reverse. The Prius uses it's mechanical brakes less, since it uses regenerative braking to recover battery charge, but still will wear out the brake pads eventually. A light scraping is usually the first sign that the pads are low.