Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Intermitent. 1985 Toyota land cruiser fj75 3f motor petrol.

Customer Question
Intermitent Mechanic's Assistant: What...

Intermitent

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

1985 Toyota land cruiser fj75 3f motor petrol

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Uses a lot of fuel and it back fires splutters cuts out when it starts we have to rev the hell out of it to get it to run rite

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Land Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?

We've put in a new fuel pump, spark plugs, coil, fuel filter, leads, dizzy cap, rotor button, a new/reconditioned head gasket, we've disconnected the choke, when we start it and rev it really high to get it to run rite it smells like stale fuel

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Toyota
3/27/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 25 days ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

How long did the vehicle sit unused? Have you drained the tank and tried fresh fuel? The stale fuel smell could very well be the problem, fuel deteriorates over time and reduces it's ability to combust properly in an engine.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
It hasn't sat unused that the problem it's used everyday all day, we've just put a new fuel pump in it

T​hanks for the reply, so before doing all this work it ran good or was the repair done to solve this existing problem?

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech