Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2009 toyota prius has a code come up from the scanner at…

Hello! My 2009 toyota...

Hello! My 2009 toyota prius has a code come up from the scanner at Auto Zone C1241 and C1300 I have 146,000 miles and the dealer said because I disconnected my battery the codes do not show up. I think its the brake actuator going out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

Yes I did and it did not clear. The codes which I took a pic of are C1300 and C1241

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I am not

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I had the scan done because my brakes are not working exactly right...not a huge noticable difference but didnt feel right.

3/27/2018
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

If you clear these codes do they both come back right away and do the brakes improve before the lights come back on?

The lights on the dash do not come on except for the car on the curvy road, every so often when I am braking. And the codes came back right after clearing them

Okay let me do some investigating into these code numbers do you have the vehicle identification number available so I can check the options and history on this car?

it is JTDKB20U393472366
thanks

Okay just stepped out for lunch I'll get on it as soon as I get back

no problem

History on this vehicle is showing these malfunctions occurred about a year ago in June. Does the data that AutoZone pulled from the computer give the sub information codes?

sorry do you mean this...Malfunction in Engine Control Unit CURRENT ...that is all I have and I typed it just as it shows.current was in caps and that was for the C1300 The C1241 says ..Low Battery Positive Voltage Or Abnormally High Battery Positive Voltage
I only have that info because my son took pics of the screen on the scanner

No I'm referring to the more sophisticated information. It takes more than just the generic code reader together that information from the vehicle skid control computer. Each code has a sub information code which helps you narrow down what the potential problems could be. The 1241 code means that the computer is losing voltage or not seeing a high voltage. In some cases overvoltage will set that code also. But within that code there are sub information codes that help you narrow down what's going on with the voltage issue. That could be anything from and ABS relay or power supply problems with fuses and so on. The C1300 code is indicating an internal fault problem in the ABS ECU, again there would be sub information codes that help you determine what is failing internally. That being said if you're having a voltage supply problem to the ABS ECU the 1300 code usually will set by default because the logic can't handle the voltage fluctuations high or low. The only way to get the sub information codes is with a more sophisticated scan tool or having the dealer do a complete health check and store the data and I can look at the information once they store the freeze frame data on TIS codes with a detailed information codes and have you post them back here. Unfortunately the dealer is probably going to charge you a half an hour minimum in labor to do that. You don't want to just rush out and replace the ABS module if you have a power supply issue with one of the relays or the fuses going to the power supply relays for the ABS unit. Looking at the service history this issue was first noticed back in June 2017 with the same codes set. Unfortunately they didn't run the health check correctly so I can't see the freeze-frame data that would've been stored with the sub information codes. I know this is lot information let me know if you need any other specific information regarding this problem. Without the power supply working directly or supplying current to the ABS ECU the brakes will feel spongy because you're only using front hydraulic brakes and nothing for the rear. Please do not forget to rate the assistance I provided you today at three or higher and a five would be awesome thank you.

thanks and I will give you 5 stars...should I have the service department run the scan again since they didnt do it correctly? I just paid 113.00 this morning to have it done

Was it a Toyota dealer?

Toyota dealer in Jonesboro AR

If you pay that much money typically that's about one hour labor they should have given you a preliminary diagnosis. Did they check into the system at all?

They should have given you a print out with all of the code numbers and sub information codes. Which would have included FreezeFrame data.

All he said was that the scan showed no codes at all and he said because we disconnected the battery last week for a few minutes we must have cleared it. I asked him again if any codes showed up and he said no.
He also said the mechanic did a check on the brake actuator and it was in good shape

The information did show up as of this afternoon. And what they told you is not totally accurate that there were no codes just not ones you have now. They ran to quick test The 9:07 scan shows codes but not the particular one that you have now. 9:10 scan showed nothing. I would take it back in if the lights are on have them retest it saving the freeze-frame data and printing it out for you. If they don't tell it to upload and save the data I will be able to read it. Click this link for the codes and the times they retrieve them.

My lights are not on but we feel something is not right with the brakes. So what test do I ask them to run? thanks
Could you tell me what the codes that did show up mean

B1271

Combination meter ECU communication stops

B1200 Body ECU communications stop

B1207

Certification ECU communication stop

B1442

Air outlet damper position sensor valve does not change even if air conditioning amplifier operated air outlet damper control servo motor.

B1421 will set when ever the codes are checked indoors that is a solar sensor and is normal indoors no sunlight hitting sensor.

B2729 is an immobilizer issue not communicating.

P1121 is an issue with the coolant control valve sticking and is common for the valve to fail. or stick intermittent.

Do you have that start with a B have to do with communications failure. Typically this is caused by low-voltage issues or running health checks when the battery state charges low. Typically we clear those out make sure the 12 V battery is fully charged then rerun the check. I usually don't get too worked up over communication stop communication error codes. Very rarely set ever an issue it usually voltage related.

Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
thanks again and one last question...how would you ask about getting the freeze frame data?

You still have those code set it should automatically come up and they can print it out and give it to you. Just tell them you need the sub information codes and the freeze-frame data so you can diagnose those codes to a more definitive solution.

thanks have a nice day!!! I will be asking for you next time

:) !!!!!!