Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I just replaced the 12-Volt battery in my 2014 Prius V and…

I just replaced the...

I just replaced the 12-Volt battery in my 2014 Prius V and it still will not start the engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

I don't believe so. It's at the mechanic's shop now, he put in the new 12-v battery, but says it's throwing codes about the HV battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, it's at my mechanic's shop. Like I said, he replaced the 12-volt battery this morning, but it is throwing codes about the HV battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Does this connect cost anything?

3/27/2018
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Do you know the fault code numbers that it is throwing and if so can you post that code into here for me to see?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

I'm not with my mechanic right now so I don't know the specific codes. He said that the "P" is lit on the dash and the code is something to do with the HV battery. I fear we may need to have it towed to a Toyota dealer and I really don't have that kind of money. The car was fine until Saturday when I first experienced it not starting, but it started a short time later. Then again on Sunday it gave me trouble starting, but did start like 2 minutes later. Then later on Sunday afternoon, it wouldn't start and the smell of rotten eggs was horrible. Roadside Assistance from AAA tried to jump the battery but only the electric would come on - the gas engine would not engage. It was then towed to my auto mechanic where it is now. Nothing more was done to it other than the jump start.
I don't think a phone call would solve anything since I'm not with my mechanic. I was hoping for a quick fix, but I guess I'll just have to wait for the mechanic to figure it out. He says the Toyota dealership are not very forthcoming with information on repairs, even to fellow mechanics. If the dealerships were not so far away and if the did not charge an arm and a leg for everything, I would have had it towed to one in the first place. Thanks for your help, such as it was.

No problem with the phone call.That is an automated feature the web site offers all customers.We can continue here instead.

Unfortunately, if there is a fault with the HV battery or the HV battery electronics this has to be diagnosed and tested by a certified repair person or facility that has experience with the HV battery system on your model.I have unfortunately seen the HV battery fail on its own suddenly causing a no start as without the HV battery being o.k. the computer will disable starting.

The fault codes will have to be read out of all computers using a scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicles data port that can read all computers in your vehicle to see what codes are set with this fault here.Once this is done the code set will then help to diagnose if the HV battery needs replaced or the HV control unit or a relay or any other HV components causing the fault.

Unfortunately, this will have to be done to help in locating and repairing this issue here.If you have no one near you that can look into this it may have to be towed to the nearest dealer or repair facility that can work on it.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Thanks for your help, Pete. I will print out your response for my mechanic, but it doesn't look like you could do any more for me and my situation. The car was operating fine until Saturday and we are pretty sure the main cause of the non-start was the 12-volt battery due to the intense rotten egg smell and the electric components not working shortly after a jump. I sure do regret buying this car now, and that is sad because I really did like it until yesterday! Too bad I've already sold my 2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder!

You're welcome

Now if your 12-volt battery ( the old one ) had shorted out it can damage the HV electronics.So having the codes checked will definitely help to diagnose and locate which component is at fault needing repaired or replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician
Thank you, Pete. I've sent you a 5-star review. It's not your fault you couldn't help me - you tried.jd

Your welcome and thank you for the review.

Good Morning, Pete.
Just to follow up, my mechanic found the problem late yesterday afternoon. Apparently, there is some type of plug from the main battery that had worked loose because some slide lock wasn't secure and once he secured everything, the car fired right up. Though it took 2 days to figure it out - in between working on other vehicles that were easier to resolve, I'm very happy with the result. So, I guess nothing further is required.
Janet Dennis

That is great to hear.If you need anything else in the future let me know.

Thanks Pete