Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My mechanic said it showing P1780 code .What is that mean?

Hi !my mechanic said...

Hi !my mechanic said it showing P1780 code .What is that mean?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

He said that's the only one code p1780

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2000 camry 4 cylinder engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to get the parts by my self and put it in if possible

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The tech at the Smog check said before he can test the car it has to be driven at lest 200 miles it that correct?

3/26/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

The P1780 code will set if the Park/Neutral position switch indicates that 2 or more switches are ON simultaneously for Pink, Red, N, D, 2 and L. The code can also set if the Park/Neutral position switch is showing N position for 30 seconds or more while driving 50 MPH or more with engine speed between 2,000 and 5,000 RPM. The common cause for this code to set on your Camry is usually a broken wire Trunk Lid Wiring Harness. I have enclosed the steps to check this in the link below. The tech at the smog shop is right as long as the cause for this code to set has been repaired. As long as the problem is still present the code will not clear.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f2xc7iie9ehx3bq/Trunk%20harness%20Mar%2026.pdf?dl=0

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thank you Ron that’s explain because I have a trunk wiring before and the brake indicator lights up when I step on the brakes

Your very welcome and thank you as well. Have the steps I mentioned checked and you should be able to get this resolved. Please take a moment to rate my service at the top right hand side of the page so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Ron, ASE Certified Technician