Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Took my Toyota Prius plug in for body work. I was told few…

Took my Toyota Prius plug...
Took my Toyota Prius plug in for body work. I was told few days later that the car won’t start. I tried jump starting but won’t start and was to replace the battery with a new one without luck. Is there anything am missing out with troubleshooting. I used launch EZdiag to check the fault code and it returned B27a2 (open in front passenger side electrical antenna circuit. Does anyone has an idea the reason for this
3/25/2018
Shawn Few

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue

In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

I am here Sunday through Friday from around 5 am to 9 pm Eastern time.Zone If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

If you see a call request on your screen ,That is an automated feature the web site offers all customers.

What year is the prius ?

Are you looking for the most possible causes or you are repairing it yourself .

Please Let Me Know

Thank You

2012 plug in Am repairing it myself
can we do a chat as am not close to the car at this time

DTC B27A2 CLICK ON LINK TO VIEW THE PDF FILE FOR STEP BY STEP TROUBLESHOOT FOR THIS DTC

WITH THAT SAID THE MOST COMMON IS

1-REPLACE CERTIFICATION ECU (SMART KEY ECU ASSEMBLY)

2-OK -- END (FRONT DOOR OUTSIDE HANDLE ASSEMBLY RH (FOR FRONT PASSENGER DOOR) WAS DEFECTIVE)

IF THEY DID NOT DISCONNECT BATTERY AND/ OR BATTERY WENT LOW ,IT COULD HAVE TRIGGERED THE SECURITY , NOW WITH A CAPABLE TOYOTA SCANNER YOU CAN RESET IT , IN SOME CASES THE MANUNAL RESET BELOW WILL WORK, FIRST MAKE SURE WE HAVE 12 VOLT BATTERY AND HOLDING , KEY FOB BATTERY IS GOOD , CHECK IT , TRY ANOTHER FOB IF U HAVE ONE

Master Reset

1-Disconnect Both Battery Cables ,Positive & Negative .

2- Touch Cables With Each Other For 60 Secs ( this will take any residual power in the Harness to Reset the Vehicle Modules )

3- Wait 30 min

4- Close all doors and trunk

5- Reconnect Battery Positive First

6- Use The Key in The Driver Side Door

Lock Cylinder to Lock it & Unlock,IF You have only a Key Fob ,use it to lock and unlock

7- Enter vehicle and Start it .

If more help is needed, Please use the reply Tab to continue our conversation.

, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click here or above).

You can Rate at Any Time and we Can Continue to work on your question as This Will Not Close out your Question.

I work on delivering the best answer and help but in some cases,

It can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

From what I saw in the documents, could it be as a result that the door replaced for the passenger side is not a direct fit. I tried opening the door using SKS but it would not, only the driver side worked
The replacement door I bought from a junk yard for the passenger door doesn't have the SKS sensor on the handle

yes sir that is the problem ,we need the sks sensor ,sorry you did not mention prior ,if the ecu is not getting that signal it will not start ,

Shawn Few
Okay sirWill try to work around it

ok sounds good

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

Can I disable the SKS system in order to bypass this?

unfortunately no way to by pass that system ,

Just went to check the old now but it doesn’t seem to have sensor o. The handle

At this time ,I would run the test I sent you for dtc B27a2 so we are not guessing now ,

are you sure it does not ?

what is vin#

It’s there my bad
Thanks
The cables are the body man was showing me the rear door which makes me think it wasn’t there

okay , no worries

I have HV cell low voltage
Hope am just in time

if the HV battery was weak and it sat few days while working on it and has not been driven and dropped low enough to trigger one or more low cell . now if one low cell stop charging that will effect the whole system since they are hooked in series but that does not explain the fault for the 27a2 fault .

this car 2012 and we are in 2018 , they usually last 5 to 6 years ,so that could be separate issue , now days you can get rebuild ones on ebay ,like exchange service you mail out the old one , I myself take them apart and replace that bad cell, but you need a lot experience doing that :), these cells are $20 a piece on ebay and usually one or 2 are bad not all

The fault code Has been cleared only to discover that the HV cells are dead, is there no way for me to charge this us ng the charger
From my understanding of batteries they can be recharged except if they can’t hold a charge
Other codes am seeing is hv control system regeneration malfunction

do​ not bother by charging ,it will need to be replaced with rebuild one or repaired, start with hv battery ,then let them clear and see if the b27a2 comes back

Around $800

click on link below

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2009-TOYOTA-PRIUS-HYBRID-BATTERY-COMPLETE-W-HV-COMPUTER-18-MONTH-WARRNATY/152923651554?epid=658463494&hash=item239af5bde2:g:L1UAAOSwf3BZ1bRg&vxp=mtr

that is an example yours 2012 ,so look for 2012

Okay

keep me updated

OkayThough still surprised that the battery will just go dead in an instant
Should I disconnect both the HV and six battery

no only the 12 volt , you do not disconnect hv .

One thing to also point out is that the car was sitting for some days before it finally drained

that what they usual do , if weak hv and sits , it will drain below 7.2 volts to 3,4 or 5 volts and it want recover and hv system will be offline

Why can’t the charger cable provided charge it at this time at least
Though am yet to try it
I mean whats the essence of the charger that came with the car, isn't it suppose to provide the charge or boost required to start the car

I​f all the cells are good it will work, if we have bad cell in series it want charge ,but you can try it and see if it does ,u want hurt anything now ,if it is bad ,it will be bad ,if it takes a charge ,my experience will work for a little bit and stop working , try it

Okay

let me know

Will let you know as I want to get extension cable from homedepot
I think one thing I failed to mention was that I got hold of the car from option and straight to the body job but did saw that the HV battery was low and never thought it will drain at the body shop

that is what happened , hopefully you can wake it back up ,these cars needs to be driven daily after the 5 year mark my experience ,or hv will drop

Okay, battery fault now cleared but now seeing HV Control system regeneration malfunction. C1259 and C1310. System name ABS/VSC/TRC

NOW C1259 IS RECALL AND THEY EXTENDED IT TO 15 YEARS

RECALL SC-ZE3 08/14/2014 Campaign - Intelligent Power Module Warranty Extension

2012 Toyota Prius

L4-1.8L (2ZR-FXE) Hybrid

• Vehicle
  • Probable Cause

C1259/58--

ItemDescription

Symptom/DTCC1259/58--

Descriptor

Electronically Controlled Brake System

Probable Causes

• Power Management Control Engine Control Unit (ECU) Hybrid Vehicle Control Engine Control Unit (ECU)
Can you send also procedure for the troubleshooting as it was mentioned in the document you showed
I don’t know if I will be eligible as the car was bought as salvaged
Also, could it be that the batteries still needs more charge

no it want be if salvage

for this fault most likely the ecu but And you still need a battery .if not taking a charge ,

sorry no procedure supplied , says refer to scanner , I have a scanner that can check the hv battery system for all car makes but these are not cheap , not all scanner can do that , have to be Toyota hv specific software installed on them ,I would think that body shop should have capable scanner if they work on them

Okay
Will like to know as well does this fault come up as well when the HV battery goes low

No it will be a different DTC fault,

• P0AA7
  • P0AA7-727

2012 Toyota Prius

L4-1.8L (2ZR-FXE) Hybrid

Hybrid Control System

• Vehicle
  • ALL Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC )
  • Testing and Inspection
  • P Code Charts
  • P0AA7
  • P0AA7-727
  • Hybrid Control System

Hybrid Control System

HYBRID / BATTERY CONTROL: HYBRID CONTROL SYSTEM: P0AA7-727: Hybrid Battery Voltage Isolation Sensor Circuit
P0AA7-727 - Hybrid Battery Voltage Isolation Sensor Circuit

DESCRIPTION

The power management control ECU monitors the insulation monitoring circuit located in the battery smart unit and detects a malfunction.
INSPECTION PROCEDURE

PROCEDURE

1. REPLACE BATTERY SMART UNIT

(a)Replace the battery smart unit

<div class="no-zoom-container ng-scope" ng-click="vm.repairService.goToADConnectURL(vm.repairService.repairObject.url + '/image_article/0/')" "="">

have been very busy recently and thinking of getting someone to come look at it. Do you know anyone I could contact for this? am in houston

S​ORRY I M IN SOUTH CAROLINA WISH I DID

DO A SEARCH ONLINE FOR HOUSTON

Do you have a wiring diagram of how to replace the fusible link

W​HICH ONE ?

The one at the engine bay 125Amp, read it somewhere that the fuse could be broken and it’s the fuse that am yet to locate and test

Fusible link

Not this one, the one at the engine bay in the fuse box

no picture on that one , should be self explanatory , disconnect the rear battery and check it ,so you are not sparking when you checking it

Am on it now, I learnt there are two of those , one at the HV and the other below the fuse box in the engine bay
As for the battery I disconnected both positive and negative for a day now while working the car in order not drain the new battery I bought

CORRECT, RIGH INSIDE THE HV,AFTER TAKING HV BATTERY COVER OFF, THERE 150 OR 250 AMP FUSE , YOU CAN NOT MISS IT , IT IS HELD BY 2 SMALL TINY SCREWS ,U HAVE TO UNSCREW TO GET IT OFF ,REMMBER HIGH VOLTAGE THERE !!!!!.

Okay. Need to go get some gloves then. What are the things that blows this fuse

I m sorry ,,this website is one issue one answer , I can not diagnose different problems here for you step by step ,you need to do that

I have answered all lot off different questions on several things , you will need to open another question since this is not the initial , question ,

you have not worked on HV battery before and these requires specific knowledge , I can not help any further on working on this hv battery since it will cause harm to you dealing 200 volts plus with no extensive knowledge or tools to do it

My background is electrical and handle way higher voltages than this. It’s the more reason am more interested in fixing the car
I have been diagnosing my Prius plug in that won’t start. This happened after the car was taking to a body shop. The steps taking so far has been to check fuses in the engine bay and in the car, also DTC gotten was battery cells low which am still finding it hard to believe that a battery will just drop dead. The next step am about taking now is to check The fusible link to see if it’s not broken, what I will like to know is if there is a way to confirm that without going through the stress of removing trims in the car