Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ignition key intermintant locks up no sound when putting in…

Ignition key intermintant locks...

Ignition key intermintant locks up no sound when putting in will not turn. then after a while it works fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

New key no damage wheel does not turn. its as if key is not in lock.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2004 seienna le

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes tried making sure in park. battery full charge . tried turnig steering wheel back and forth with normal force.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No it just seems to do his intermitantly then work normal until it wants to do it again.

3/25/2018
Jake
Jake, Auto Body Repairer
Hey there, this can be a bit tricky from your description of symptoms.The ignition switch has tumblers internally that may stick and prevent the key from fully seating in the ignition switch. There is an interlock cable that runs from the ignition cylinder to the shifter.You need to try some things when this happens like shift into neutral and see if it helps, or wiggle the key itself.
The interlock cable will effect the wheel locking as well, but it can just be adjusted. If the problem is the actual KEY cylinder or an internal tumbler or collar then it will have to be repaired or replaced.
Jake
Jake, Auto Body Repairer