Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My blinker and tail light are not working it is not the bulb…

Customer Question
My blinker and tail...

My blinker and tail light are not working it is not the bulb or the fuse and auto zone said it is the entire tail light assembly , can I replace this myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?

Its not grounding , there is no electricity getting to it so the entire tail light assembly needs to be replaced , is this something I can fix myself

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

I have already tried replacing the bulbs and the the fuse , its a 2005 toyota highlander

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm tryimg to , auto zone wants 330 to replace the entire aasembly

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have already tried replacing the bulb and fuse

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Toyota
3/24/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 3 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Before you spend 330 dollars on a taillight that may not light up, you need to determine if there is power and a ground in the wire connector at the light. If you have no power in the connector, a new light will not fix your problem. Use a 12 volt DC test light to check for power and ground. Turn the light switch on and check for power in all of the sockets. If you have power, all you might need is a ground repair.

If you have any questions, please reply. Please do take a moment to confirm that you have received my input. Thanks!

That is what I need, a ground repair , can I do that myself
They said it wasnt grounding , autazone already confirmed that

You can do this: On the connector that connects to the lamp, find the white and black wire. This is the ground wire. Attach a temporary wire to the white/black wire and touch it to something metal that is not painted. If the light lights all you need to do is make the ground permanent.

Well how do I do that , is there a specific part I need to order , the woring housing or something

No. Order no parts. Get a piece of insulated wire. Cut it to about 4 feet. Bar both ends. Bare the white black wire and twist the 4' wire to it. Turn on the lights and touch the other end of the 4' wire to something metal. This bypasses the existing ground that you are lacking.

Well what about the plug socket and wiring harness

You need to find out if your ground is bad. Why buy a new light if the ground to the new light does not work? If the light lights up attach your jumper wire securely and you save 330 dollars.