Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

When I try to start the car using the push start button it…

Customer Question
Hi. When I try...

Hi. When I try to start the car using the push start button it clicks over and won't start

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

A few hours and I'm not sure. The break pedal is heavy and the steering wheel is locked to

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

Rav 4 gxl 2013

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have tried jump staring the battery which works for a little while but once I turn the car off again it won't start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is all thanks

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Toyota
3/24/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 27 days ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
You need to get a voltmeter and check and see if the alternator is charging, I would also probably remove the battery and replace it.Generally if the vehicle will run until you shut it back down and you're not getting a battery light then the alternator is fine but the battery is just old and tired, batteries typically only lasts 5 to 7 years at best.Continuing to run the vehicle with a bad battery will cause alternator failure because it causes the alternator to be in high output mode at all times which will quickly overheat it and kill the voltage regulator that is integral to the alternator.So you get the voltmeter and you put it on DC voltage, you start the vehicle and you measure the voltage at the battery with no electrical consumers on it should be over 14 volts, then turn on your high beam, seat heaters, the heater or air conditioning, and any other electrical loads you can think of, and then measure the voltage of the battery again it should be in the High 13 volts at least still.If an alternator is putting out partial voltage, you sometimes won't get a light you have to be putting out like less than battery voltage which is 12.6 volts if you're not putting out less than battery voltage it's still creates a condition where you won't get a battery light on the dash, but it won't charge the battery because it's not enough oldest to run the vehicle and charge.If the vehicle seems to be putting out the correct amount of voltage make sure you run it for 20 or 30 minutes with all the electrical consumers on once putting a new battery in and recheck the system because often when the alternator runs for a long period of time it gets hot and shuts down, and that's why removing the alternator and having it tested by the auto parts store is not valid test and I really don't recommend doing it, it's really only good to tell you if the alternator is definitively bad but you should never use the auto parts store alternator test as proof that the alternator is actually good because it is not under real-world conditions.Please remember to hit accept next to my name if I've answered your question to your satisfaction that is the only way the site compensates me for my time.If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask, you can ask follow-up questions even after hitting accept.
Danny
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician