Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2000 4runner. very intermittently the pedal "locks" up and…

2000 4runner. very...

2000 4runner. very intermittently the pedal "locks" up and is very hard to push. Once while driving and once upon start up. i have tested it somewhat- ie: with the engine warmed up, slowly depressing the pedal yields less and less travel. with engine on and pedal depressed, turn off engine and pedal does not move. wondering if it might be the check valve but am puzzled by the randomness of the the symptoms.

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 4Runner yourself? What have you tried so far?

DIY. brake issue. 2000 4runner. very intermittently the pedal "locks" up and is very hard to push. Once while driving and once upon start up. i have tested it somewhat- ie: with the engine warmed up, slowly depressing the pedal yields less and less travel. with engine on and pedal depressed, turn off engine and pedal does not move. wondering if it might be the check valve but am puzzled by the randomness of the the symptoms

3/25/2018
Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Are you saying while driving the brake pedal cannot be pressed and the brake will not apply?

Almost. The pedal was very hard to apply and the car was very difficult to stop. Also, tested the pedal at home. Engine off, pump brake and hold. While holding brake turned engine on and the brake pedal did not depress any.
Could this be the booster check valve?

The booster check valve prevents the booster using vacuum from draining the vacuum the intake has made and affecting the way the engine runs. The valve could be getting stuck closed preventing vacuum flow in either direction. This sounds more so like a faulty inside the booster. I would test the vacuum supply from the engine to the booster. If you have the issue and the booster is getting over 12 inhg of vacuum then the concern is the booster.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician