Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2001 celica gt,steering wheel started shaking, and now…

Customer Question
Hi, my 2001 celica...

Hi, my 2001 celica gt,steering wheel started shaking, and now its making a noise when i take off,like a binding or sweeling noise ,in the front end-not the motor ,please help.

Mechanic's Assistant: How often does the vibration occur, and when did you last have the tires balanced?

The vibreation is getting worse,havent got the tires balanced,but that wouldn't make the noise or cause the pulling to the left would it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Celica yourself? What have you tried so far?

My husband looked at it but could not find anything loose or bent everything seems tight-that's all for now.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Toyota
3/23/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 3 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please explain the problem in more detail if you can. Thanks!

it started with the steering wheel shaking ,and now its making that like binding noise today, my husband checked the brakes, but that's all hes gotten to so far,

I am wondering if you have a bad wheel bearing or a sticking caliper. Does the vehicle pull to one side when you brake?

Ok. Anytime you have a pull to one side when you brake, you either have a sticking caliper or a caliper that is not operational. When the car pulls under braking, one side brake is either coming on too soon (sticking caliper), or, one side is not applying the brake pads to grip the rotor. WHen you have this, one of the inside brake pads usually wears out and this can cause a loud squeal. Additionally, if a caliper is sticking, the heat buildup from the pad rubbing the rotor will overheat the rotor and cause a vibration in the steering wheel.

it does not squeal all the time, just when i take off,it just started making noise today this car has disk brakes on the front,does that make a difference?

I would recommend that you husband remove the calipers and check the inboard brake pads. We can discuss this further via phone if you desire. The site allows this for an additional charge; perhaps I could speak with your husband since he has looked at the brakes..

thank you

You are very welcome. Glad to help. Do you have any other questions for me at this time? If not, you can reply to this chat box at any time.