Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius and when I turned my car on today…

Customer Question
I have a 2007...

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius and when I turned my car on today I had the Brake system warning light, check engine light, master warning light, Anti-lock brake system warning light, and the slip indicator light on in my car. What do all these light indicate and what do I need to do?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

They all stay on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have fixed my Prius myself in the past and I have also had the dealer do it as well. If it is to invasive we sometime take it in to them.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Within the past year my Prius had to a brake system recall and Toyota fix it free of charge. I do not recall what was replaced by it had to do with the ABS

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
3/23/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I understand this issue, and it could range from a wheel speed sensor, one of your brake actuators(which there is a TSB for), or the module for the brakes. The first thing to do is have the vehicle scanned for codes. The trouble codes will indicate the area of concern. Here, I am attaching the TSB that I mentioned. Also, you may want to check with the dealer to see if this issue is a result of what was done.

They maybe willing to look at it for free. Won't hurt to try.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

I have an OBD II PocketScan from actron that I used to run any codes. It read no codes on my car. Does this mean that the TSB provided does not apply?

This does not mean that it does not apply. Your scanner may not be capable of scanning the ABS system. If it is, then the control module for the brakes will more than likely be the issue.

Okay, I turned on my car. Since it's a Pruis it's hard to tell if it is running. It looks like it turned on but it will not allow me to shift into drive or reverse. It goes to Neutral. Could it be a low battery?
Definitely. Has the battery been inspected?
It had a new battery put in about 2 years ago, but no inspection since then.
I just tried to read the codes with a OBD II/ EOBD + ABS scanner and no ABS codes were present.
All of the lights- interior, headlamps, etc. light up well, so it does not seem to be the battery. Could it be a fuse or wire harness that is loose?
All of the lights initially came on whilst driving, but I was able to make it home (just a couple of blocks). Now, I cannot put the car into drive or reverse, just neutral.
We just tested all of the fuses and they all are good. We did notice that when we try to put the car into gear, there is a sound like something is trying to work and then a single click (after the click, everything stops).
Could the problem be a relay?
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 4 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Different expert here. My colleague seems to be off line. Please allow me to add input here. I would doubt highly a relay is the issue. The Prius product requires a rather sophisticated scanner to interface with the various on board computers. If the lights are on, you have to have codes. Not all scanners have the ability to read Prius codes, and some require additional software that may not be present in the scanner(s) you are using. Your best bet here is to not speculate and take the vehicle to a Toyota dealer for a complete scan/health check. That is where to start. Replacement of sensors and relays will just cost you a bunch of money and may not cure the issue. Without the diagnostic codes, you are guessing on the cure.