Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Owner) of E-N-I Motorsports. I am working on a production…

Customer Question
Hello, My Name is...

Hello, My Name is Craig (Owner) of E-N-I Motorsports. I am working on a production date 11/02 Toyota Camry with a 3.0 liter V6.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Camry?

The consistent problem is when the car sits overnight for (8) hours. It is very difficult to start. Model year is 2002

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

The battery is fully charged, but if you crank/ turn over the car long enough the battery will die.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

Once the car starts, it runs fine for the rest of the day, until it sits for more than (5) hours is when it is difficult to start. I have replaced the coolant temp sensor for the computer. Cleaned the throttle body and mass air sensor. Replaced spark plugs and leaking valve cover gaskets.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That' s all of it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Toyota
3/23/2018
Toyota Mechanic: carguy1, auto technician replied 3 months ago
carguy1
carguy1, auto technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

I would put a fuel pressure gauge on it and let it sit for the minimum required time for this issue to occur. If the fuel pressure is dropping off, then it might be taking all that time to build enough pressure to actually start. Then the rest of the day when the pressure isn't dropping as much, it's fine. I have also seen head gasket issues cause this type of issue, but if it's not losing any coolant it's a safe bet it's not the issue.

This is where I would look next for the problem.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

Appreciate the input. This is not a head gasket issue, as the car doesn't lose coolant. I also did a combustion test and it tested normal. Fuel pressure test? I'll give it a try. This seems more like a cold start issue?

It does have an IAC under the throttle body. You could try taking it off and cleaning it up. I know you cleaned up the throttle body, but if you didn't remove the IAC and spray it up with carb cleaner it could be sticking and causing the problem. Also, I could see the maf sensor causing this as well. That you could just unplug when the car has sat for 8 hours and see if it fires right up. If it does, then replace it.

This production date 11/02 V6 Camry does not have a IAC. This is drive by wire,i.e. just a throttle body and mass air sensor.

Gotcha, I would try unplugging the maf sensor then, and the fuel pressure test if the maf doesn't show any changes.