Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have an 08 Supercharged Tundra. For a couple months now,

Customer Question
I have an 08...

I have an 08 Supercharged Tundra. For a couple months now, the check engine and VSC lights have stayed on (flashing). Diagnostics keep reporting a misfire on cylinder 5. The plug, injector and coil have all been replaced on this cylinder. Toyota shop now claims its a valve spring causing the problem but me and my local mechanic both agree that doesn't sound right because though the problem lights stay on, it runs rough at random and typically when I cut the truck off and crank it right back up, it'll run smooth again. Thoughts on what the problem could be?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Blinks

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm not doing the work myself but so far, the plug, coil, and injector on cylinder 5 have been replaced, all other coils replaced, and front catalytic convertor and 02 sensor replaced. All other maintenance always performed as scheduled. The truck does have 260k miles but this is the first real problem I've ever had out of it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that's everything.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Toyota
3/23/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 3 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

T​hanks for posting

So far it has not been to a Toyota dealer, is this correct?

Is it a V6 or V8?

Standing in front of the engine which cylinder has the problem?

It has been to the dealer. They're the ones that say it's a bad valve spring. Cylinder 5 is the one that keeps showing up as a misfire in the diagnostics.

Thanks for the response, a broken valve spring is a possibility. maybe a compression test wouyld confirm it.

It's been tested for compression and looks good.

If you clear the light how long does it take to come back on again, does it misfire at idle only, is there a loss of power?

You mentioned the check light is flashing, this indicates that there is a misfire.

Did they give you the code number and do you know which cylinder has the problem, I know it's #5, can ypou give me the physical location of it according to the dealer.

I'll have to ask again, is it a V6 or V8, the cylinders are not numbered the same, the #1 cylinders are not on the same bank, this can be a source of confusion.

It's a V8. If I clear it, it varies how long it takes the lights to come back on. Last time, I drove it for a few days before it came back on but if it's running smooth, no lights, and I punch it, it'll misfire every time around 4,000 rpm. I don't have the code number, just know that it's always cylinder 5

Sorry I had to opt out on this one.