Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It makes a roaring sound that gets louder on acceleration. I…

Customer Question
It makes a roaring...

It makes a roaring sound that gets louder on acceleration. I had to jump it off a couple of times and it finally quit running. I replaced the battery and now it runs but still has roaring sound

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?

The truck is a 2015 Toyota Tacoma

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?

No not fixing my self just trying to get some idea what it could be so that I can have some idea what the cost will be to fix it

Mechanic's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Toyota Mechanic's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

My son looked under the hood when he replaced the battery and said one of the alternator belts would skip a rotation could this be the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Did you get my last message

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Toyota
3/23/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Jake, Auto Body Repairer replied 3 months ago
Jake
Jake, Auto Body Repairer
Hey there, thanks for the question.The fact that you needed to jump the engine off and the combination of roaring sounds a lot like you may have a bad /seizing alternator. The additional details about the belt rotation further leads me to believe this is the case.
If you wanted to verify it, you could pull the belt off and start the engine and see if the roaring disappears. If so the pulleys need inspected.
If the alternator is bad, the cost will vary dramatically by where you go for the repairs because the difference in quality and price from a factory and aftermarket alternator are pretty substantial.
For example: an aftermarket alternator is around $200 and an OEM alternator about $600.The. Expect to pay around 1.5 hours labor.
If you have additional questions or concerns let me know!If not please be sure to leave a kind rating.Thanks.