Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2001 Toyota Sequoia. Today - strangely - the front…

Customer Question
I have a 2001...

I have a 2001 Toyota Sequoia.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sequoia yourself? What have you tried so far?

Today - strangely - the front running lights and the rear tail lights are staying on after the car has been turned off.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?

The interior overhead light will go off when the doors are closed, but the gauge cluster lamps stay on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Disconnecting the battery will turn them off (of course) - and when I reconnect the battery - they stay off - until I use the remote to lock or unlock the doors.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Toyota
I went out into the garage again - the battery terminal was disconnected - and reconnected the battery, expecting the lights to stay off. I was suprised to see that the front ***** *****ghts, rear tail lights, and licence place lights all turned on. So, that is slightly different than the last time I did it, where the lights all stayed off when I re-connected the battery.
3/23/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician replied 3 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

I can help you figure this out if you are comfortable doing some electrical testing. I would rather diagnose with you than just make an educated guess as an answer.

Chris,
Thanks for the response. Here is the testing I've done.
I was not sure if I had DRL or not (I don't) - so I pulled the DRL fuse - lights stay on. Put fuse back in.
Pulled the ECU-B fuse - doors no longer respond to key fob remote - but lights stayed on. Put fuse back in.
Played more with the light stalk in the drivers compartment. If lights were off - and I turn the stalk to "driving lights", the lights turn on - turn another click forward, and headlights come on. Turn back a click - headlights turn off - turn back the last click - running lights stay on. I can hear the relay turn the lights on, but don't hear the relay closing - Maybe this is a stuck relay??
Got under the dash, pulled some trim off, and got access to the interior Junction box. wiggled all the relays, and then turn the light stalk on / off. Now it would turn the lights on / off as expected - AND - I could hear the relay both close (lights on) and open (lights off). I pulled the relay - and will get a replacement today.So - I think I have solved my own problem.

Keep monitoring it and if the concern comes back, let me know and I will try and help and or is there another issue I can assist with since you have already paid to get help?

Chris,
Replaced the relay this morning - and things are back to normal operations.
There isn't anything else I need help with - lesson learned that I should do a bit more investigating - and THEN ask for help.
Cheers!

Glad you got it addressed. If you think of any issue that I can provide an answer to, just let me know.