Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Malfunctioning AC which stops cooling at will. Seems

Customer Question
Malfunctioning AC which stops...

Malfunctioning AC which stops cooling at will.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the Freon level?

Seems perfect. That seems to be just one of the symptoms. Virtually every component on the dashboard is malfunctioning as well. The speedomter and accelerometer sometimes work, and begin to misbehave. The temperature guage as well. Once one of these begin to malfunction, the others strangely follow suit...

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

Camry 2007

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. Tried asking a mechanic to check the refrigerant level.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/22/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 4 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

when the A/C stops working do the other functions on the dashboard malfunction at the same time? It sounds like that is the case so the problem is not with the a/c system there is an electrical problem that affect some other functions at the same time.

Has this car been involved in an accident?

Has a technician looked at it and has made some sort of a recommendation other than just checking the Freon level?

If the answer to those two questions is NO then I would recommend that you have the charging system checked, the alternator output voltage and current under load, the battery load tested, this should be done with the engine running ( by someone that can diagnose electrical systems), it's possible that the alternator voltage/current is not sufficient to keep the battery charged and the accessories operating all at the same time, please have this checked and reply back to me if necessary.

Presently, the answer I have to the first question you asked is, no. The car hasn't been involved in an accident to the best of my knowledge. Howbeit, the car system has been checked by a technician and his recommendation was that the whole dashboard be replaced by a new one. To his recommendation, I strongly disagreed.In the event that the car was involved in an accident -- the car was not purchased brand new -- what is your prognosis?
In the event that a technician has worked on the car previously and possibly touched what he oughtn't, what is your recommendation?
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 3 months ago

I​ would kind of suspect that the body control ECU could be the cause, almost all electrical components on this model are controlled or regulated by the body control unit, it is located at the lower left side of the dash on the back and most likely is part of the junction block that has all the fuses on it. I also agree with you about replacing the whole dashboard as the other tech recommended, based on my past experience with this sort of problem I would suspect a body ECU malfunction.

Not so sure of what an ECU control unit fully entails, but cant it be replaced alone instead of replacing the whole dashboard?
On the alternative, replacing the dashboard, how much am I likely to be considering?

The body control unit is usually attached to the junction block on the left side of the dash (it has all the fuses on the front) and in most cases can be replaced without replacing the entire junction block assembly, you would have to contact a dealer and give them all the required information, depending on vehicle specifics the part can be anywhere from $500 to $1000

34;The part" refers to which the dashboard or the ECU body control unit?
If the the dash, what's the cost of the ECU?

By "part" I was referring to the Body ECU. Cost is arounf $700 depending on vehicle specific information.