Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2007 fj...when I put it in 4wd, no light on dash....checked…

2007 fj...when I put...

2007 fj...when I put it in 4wd, no light on dash....checked fuses, etc.....only rear tires spin

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Fuses, yes, but not dash lightbulbs

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '07 Toyota?

Model? automatic trans....

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried fuses, slow shifting, stopped, turning wheel, reverse, etc....

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Rear diff locks in 4wd lo.....nothing else

3/22/2018
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue
In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sunday through Friday from around 5 am to 9 pm Eastern time.Zone If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.
If you see a call request on your screen ,That is an automated feature the web site offers all customers.

There is TSB bulletin on the 4WD actuator, CLICK ON LINK TO VIEW THE TSB BULLETIN AND ALSO THE 4WD WIRING CIRCUIT AND THINGS WE NEED CHECKED

Are you looking for the most possible causes or you are repairing it yourself .

Please Let Me Know IF YOU CAN VIEW FILES AND WE CONTINUE

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Thanks... I would prefer if you could answer by my email instead of text...***@******.***

THIS THE SYMPTOM CHART AND POSSIBLE CAUSES TO HELP YOU NARROW IT DOWN

MY REPLIES WILL BE SENT HERE AND TO YOUR EMAIL AT SAME TIME

that is as long as that is the email you used for the website:

***@******.***

you can click on blue link to open and view the PDF files

Chad Farhat
I had read somewhere that the transfer case sensor gummes up if not "cycled" weekly. Since I rarely use 4WD, is this a good possibility?
There is a noticeable engagement through the 4WD lever when I try to put it into 4WD lo....doesn't this indicate it is actually trying to engage?
The feeling of gears engaging when I put it into 4wd lo.....like the old Jeep feeling when the transfer case is engaged.

1- YES IT IS POSSIBILITY IF IT IS NOT IN USE A LOT ,YOU ARE CORRECT

2-THE NO ENGAGEMENT HAS TO BE RELATED TO OUR ACTUATOR AT THE CASE , POWER AND GROUNDS NEEDS CHECKED THERE AND CONNECTOR

3-LOW FLUID , BREAK DOWN FLUID VISCOSITY ,, INTERNAL SYNCHRONIZE , BUT THESE ARE KNOW FOR THAT ,AND WE DO NOT SEE INTERNAL PROBLEMS ON THEM TELL LATER IN MILEAGE 200 K AND UP

4- TAKE ACTUATOR OUT AND TEST ON OUT SIDE ?

5- WHEN PULL ACTUATOR OUT LOOK INSIDE THE HOUSING IT GOES IN ,LOOK FOR BROKEN GEARS

Thank you for the Rating :)

If you need my assistance in the future, Start your Question with (FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY) or Go to my profile page

You can also add me as Favorite expert for any future questions

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-chadfarhat/?rpt=3800

Is there an easy way to check the 4wd without crawling under and removing sensor, etc? I have disconnected the battery to reset the computer and such, and I feel the 4wd seem to try and engage when shifting into 4wd lo (no feel in 4wd hi). Next thing I need to do is check the dash light I guess. I am very reluctant to take this anywhere that is unfamiliar with the fj cruiser....and the dealer always tries to replace anything and everything they can think of.

try this reset for me in case was a glitch

Master Reset

1-Disconnect Both Battery Cables ,Positive & Negative .

2- Touch Cables With Each Other For 60 Secs ( this will take any residual power in the Harness to Reset the Vehicle Modules )

3- Wait 30 min

4- Close all doors and trunk

5- Reconnect Battery Positive First

6- Use The Key in The Driver Side Door

Lock Cylinder to Lock it & Unlock,IF You have only a Key Fob ,use it to lock and unlock

7- Enter vehicle and Start it .

also try the testing in the pdf file i sent you ,for on vehicle inspection

Unfortunately , if no scanner avable to get faults and based on them pull up a pin point troubleshoot then we have to crawl under it and see if there power on actuator or not

wiring circuit

FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY - Thanks for the reset sequence....I will try this. I do not have a way of electrically diagnosing (no special gadget). Why do I feel the engagement thru the transfer case shift lever when I shift into 4wd lo? Doesn't this generally mean it's trying to engage?
FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY - also....does the 4wd indicator not light up when the engine is first started, like all the other lights? This does not....does this indicate a blown-out light bulb?

if it is trying to engage it will be actuator ,weak ,or the gears inside the case some have broken and skiping off ,

skid ecu , is the 4wd control, if this malfunctioning it will cause it not to engage

no bulb , indicate a no power to our skid ecu ,no power to skid ecu ,no power to actuator.

FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY - Since you sent the test for the ECU, I can check this when I get a chance... I am confused at the light..... every other light comes on when starting to show it works. Does the 4WD light NOT come on? This would indicate the bulb is blown if it's supposed to (a good check).

it should come on and goes out like the rest ,if it does not we have an issue

that tells me no power to module ,4wd skid ecu

FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY - That's what I was thinking. Either the bulb, or no voltage at the ECU. I will check this...sound reasonable?
FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY - BTW...not to sound overly stupid.....where is this ECU I'm checking??

no , all good man, you can not find all these parts, I will send you location of parts

click on link to view all parts location you need for it

read below how to get back in touch with me anytime ,if i m online i see it right away,if i m not ,I get an email u replied and usulay wil reply back within 15 minutes

FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY - Thanks! I will work on this when I get home (at work today). I will keep your contact so I can reach you. I appreciate the info...this truck is my "baby", so I need to get it back to it's original capabilities. I will be in touch, and I'll leave you feedback.

I know i love these truck, i had one, i have land rover discovery now, which i kept my FJ

I will do my best to help you

let me know ,this is my schedule below working on the website and how to get back in touch with me

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?Chad Farhat?ASE Certified Technician