Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Blew a fuse for the ETCS after needing a jump. Now the

Blew a fuse for...

Blew a fuse for the ETCS after needing a jump. Now the navigation system climate control and stereo do not power on at all. Checked fuses - all regular ones semm OK.

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

Yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

05 Avalon limited. JBLE audio

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Avalon yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. 1. disconnected negative cable on battery (maybe not long enough) and checked all fuses.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I do not think so.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Moose - Gotta go to bed. One suggestion I haven't tried - there are high capacity fuses not like the compact 7.5, 10, 25 amp ones told to replace one of those "block-like" fuses and/or check one attached to the stereo amp under front pass seat. And I was told to take the battery cable off and leave it off for a longer timeframe to reboot the ECM. Not sure if jumping it caused the ETCS fuse to blow and I also fried the navigation, climate, stereo. I have to believe it's a fuse, though. Everything else works perfectly fine. I'll see what you have in the morning.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/22/2018
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and ready to assist you

Yes your correct in thinking those larger fuses as it were, they are called fuse-able-links and used to power up individual circuits and it is usually one of those which blow in that circumstance. Usually it's either the ALT OR MAIN ones that blow. The problem is changing them as you have to almost take the fuse block under the hood apart to do so because they are bolted from underneath. Hope this sheds light on your issue and if you need further help let me know.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Peter. How can I tell that a particular fuse-able-link is broken or blown? By looking at it once I remove it? And where would I get that part?

Some times they are very hard to tell but you have to use a light and I use a magnifying glass as well to look into the clear top of that box and look for either a break,separation or discoloration.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician