Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

On my 90/91 corolla wagon. how do I reduce the current going…

On my 90/91 corolla...

On my 90/91 corolla wagon. how do I reduce the current going to my DRL headlight. Problem ; Short life of low beams, always on at full power when engine is running.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Corolla?

90/91

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, replace Bulbs with silver star high intensity

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'd like to be able turn DRL OFF sometimes

3/22/2018
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Is this factory DLR or aftermarket ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Canadian market, factory installed.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not working on car right now. Its freezing outside.

Ok let me explore this further on or shop manuals and get back tomorrow if that's ok with you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's good, use email. Additional info, I hear that early Toyota DLR system was crude, maybe dealer fitted in Canada.. Std H4 intensity bulbs last for years (always on when engine running- low beam). Switching to the brighter Sylvania bulbs for better night driving, they last about six months, which is why I want to reduce DLR voltage and to disable it for longer bulb life.

yes your 100% correct as like all new things they take time to work out the bugs and usually on our expense. Yes the earlier ones worked to do their job as DRL lights but did not have the dim feature the new ones do and there fore had full voltage going directly to them at all times. You can bypass them but you can also do what some have done in putting inline resistors in to the low beams. I can access our shop wiring diagrams to help you do what you wish , but will need you to accept a service offer of more Q&A time to cover my time and expenses to get them to you. Remember your covered under this sight's 100 % satisfaction guarantee for some reason Your not happy U get a refund.

The third option you have and the best one is going LED as I have these in my vehicle and will never go back as the clarity is amazing, also being Led they last for almost ever.

Let me know how you wish to proceed.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You have verified that the DLR system design on this vehicle was unfinished by Toyota. I will have to finish the design for longer h/light life of high intensity bulbs. I'm not paying more at this time. Use the money to purchase system components and myself to research circuit, colour codes, cut- out switch and resistor value. The LED option is interesting and will think about it.

If you wish I can supply you with a wiring diagram from our manuals that may help with one of your options, but if I do I would like a five star ratting to do so.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Diagram of DLR module wiring (colour coded) for 90 corolla would be great, be assured of a 5 star rating for that info.

O k in the process of doing so.

hope you can change the ratings to 5 stars now,greatly appreciated.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I have viewed the images, are they for a ^6th gen corollas, the layout drawing states 10th gen. Can you clarify?. I'm trying to change rating to 5 star in the mean time
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician