Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I just replaced the fuel pump per the mechanic that looked…

I just replaced the...

I just replaced the fuel pump per the mechanic that looked at my car said I needed to do, and it still won’t start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?

Replaced it yesterday.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2009 Corolla xle 1.8L

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I have replaced the fuel pump, I have tried starter fluid. It’s a brand new battery as well.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The mechanic did a full code read.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

did it start with the starter fluid?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Momentarily. Fell on its face after 5 seconds.

ok, so you still have a fuel issue. when you turn the key on can you hear the pump running for a few seconds?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
No, only when I try to start it.

ok standby

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
No problem
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
The only thing I can think of is is the pump isn’t getting power, whether from the relay or from the connection on the pump itself.

pull the c/opn relay. tell me how the prongs are numbered. 1,2,3,5 or 30,87,86,85

left side of dash fuse panel

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I figure this would be easier over the phone

I cant call right now sorry,

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Do I need to remove the dashboard

no. the fuse panel on the side of the dashboard. or under the dash on the driver side

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I’m in the panel. Looking for the exact fuse.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Nothing is labeled and I don’t have a diagram to look at.

i sent you a diagram

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Wire is still intact on the fuse

ok standby

do you have a voltmeter? we need to check for power and grounds

ill be back in 20

ok, do you have a voltmeter?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
No. I’m going to call a mechanic out to tell me what it is.

its probably the circuit opening relay which is not serviceable and the entire fise box needs replaced, but without you having anything to test with, I cant say that for sure. if its the same mechanic who told you to replace the pump then I would recommend finding another mechanic

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Okay. How do I go about testing it?
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
the Fuel pump was bad, even putting direct power to it, it still did not operate.

ok what about the new pump. did you put direct power to it?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Not yet, no.

ok, well right now that would be the easiest thing to do so we know we are working with a good pump. believe me, plenty of new bad parts are put in vehicles

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Just out of curiosity.. why would a bad relay not be serviceable and require to replace the entire fuse box? Is that just a manufacture thing?

yes, tats the way a lot of car are built today. there are certain relays that aren't serviceable. I don't have the reason why.

david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

new tech here . do you need further help or another opinion?

Cary York
Phone call session started
david craig
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic