Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I just replaced the fuel pump per the mechanic that looked…

I just replaced the...

I just replaced the fuel pump per the mechanic that looked at my car said I needed to do, and it still won’t start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?

Replaced it yesterday.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2009 Corolla xle 1.8L

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I have replaced the fuel pump, I have tried starter fluid. It’s a brand new battery as well.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The mechanic did a full code read.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

did it start with the starter fluid?

Momentarily. Fell on its face after 5 seconds.

ok, so you still have a fuel issue. when you turn the key on can you hear the pump running for a few seconds?

No, only when I try to start it.

ok standby

No problem
The only thing I can think of is is the pump isn’t getting power, whether from the relay or from the connection on the pump itself.

pull the c/opn relay. tell me how the prongs are numbered. 1,2,3,5 or 30,87,86,85

left side of dash fuse panel

I figure this would be easier over the phone

I cant call right now sorry,

Do I need to remove the dashboard

no. the fuse panel on the side of the dashboard. or under the dash on the driver side

I’m in the panel. Looking for the exact fuse.
Nothing is labeled and I don’t have a diagram to look at.

i sent you a diagram

Wire is still intact on the fuse

ok standby

do you have a voltmeter? we need to check for power and grounds

ill be back in 20

ok, do you have a voltmeter?

No. I’m going to call a mechanic out to tell me what it is.

its probably the circuit opening relay which is not serviceable and the entire fise box needs replaced, but without you having anything to test with, I cant say that for sure. if its the same mechanic who told you to replace the pump then I would recommend finding another mechanic

Okay. How do I go about testing it?
the Fuel pump was bad, even putting direct power to it, it still did not operate.

ok what about the new pump. did you put direct power to it?

Not yet, no.

ok, well right now that would be the easiest thing to do so we know we are working with a good pump. believe me, plenty of new bad parts are put in vehicles

Just out of curiosity.. why would a bad relay not be serviceable and require to replace the entire fuse box? Is that just a manufacture thing?

yes, tats the way a lot of car are built today. there are certain relays that aren't serviceable. I don't have the reason why.

david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

new tech here . do you need further help or another opinion?

Cary York
Phone call session started