Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have 2009 Toyota highlander hybrid and the "check hybrid…

Customer Question
Hi there, I have...

Hi there, I have 2009 Toyota highlander hybrid and the "check hybrid system" warning has been on for a month or so

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Highlander Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?

When the battery is full, i can switch it to 100% EV mode but for some reason the warning is still on and its more annoying than anything else I guess

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Do you mean they hybrid battery or the car battery?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Probably not

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Toyota
3/21/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Do you have a code reader or have you ever had anyone check for malfunction codes that would be set either in the engine control computer or the hybrid computer?
I do not have a code reader - where could I get one?

Is the yellow check engine light also illuminated? Most auto parts stores in most states except California New York and Virginia do free code reads. Have you ever had them check for a malfunction codes? A generic code reader will read engine codes and can be purchased at most parts stores or Amazon.com. However it takes a more sophisticated code reader to pull codes from the hybrid system and typically those are in the three to $400 range versus a $50 generic code reader.

No other lights are on. Just showing the "check hybrid system" in the middle console

Is the hybrid battery charging normally?

It seems to be charging normally. If the battery is full I can switch the car to fully EV mode. It uses the electric engine normally it seems to and switches to gas engine when it needs more power.
Is this a common issue?
Could it be something similar: https://imgur.com/gallery/j8Bcp

Based on your description that's not likely the problem. If a single cell or voltage block fails in a hybrid battery it will go into default and the car will move especially in EV mode. It's possible the filter or screen that allows air to go into the cooling fan and circulate across the top of the battery could be restricted if the battery starting to overheat it could kick the HV light on. Yet when it comes back off continues to function normally. And if it's really cold outside that will happen less frequently. Without knowing what codes are set in the system is difficult to say for sure. A lot of dealerships will do a preliminary health check which scans all the computer systems an stores the data or malfunction codes. If there is a Toyota dealer near you see if they can do that. Most of will charge a basic .5 hour labor charge we actually do it for free for the customer but the technician gets paid .5 hours. Once that's done I can get online and see what the data tells me. If they do the health check correctly and are connected to their network it will record all the information.

I just moved to a new place. I will need to check what service providers I have around here.

OK

Let me know when they have the info recorded.