Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My prius began shaking yesterday and sending off a sulfur…

Customer Question
Hi there, my prius...

Hi there, my prius began shaking yesterday and sending off a sulfur smell. I've read how it may be the coils or catalan converter. However, the nearest dealership is about 4 hours from me, so I'm wondering if i can drive that distance to get it repaired.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Prius?

2005

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, i am not savvy enough to do so. I thought maybe it was the oil because that seems to be where the shaking is under the hood but I checked it and it seems fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

Couple weeks ago, but since then i've drove 3000 miles.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The check engine light is on and flashing.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
3/21/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

If the yellow check engine light is on can you get to a nearby parts store in most states except California New York and Virginia they do free malfunction code reads? With these code numbers we can better determine what's going on. If the check engine light is starting to flash try not to drive it too much it will cause catalytic converter damage typically this means cylinder misfire. If you live in one of those states you can actually buy a generic code reader these days from most parts stores for less then $50 I recommend everybody have one in the glovebox will save you hundreds of dollars in diagnostic fees and are very simple to use/plug-and-play. If it's chugging and the light is flashing like I said typically that is cylinder misfire that could be anything from a bad ignition coil to problems with the spark plugs. or bad gas. Get those code numbers post them back here and I can give you additional input.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I live in a town of 200 people. the closest place is 4 hours away, again.....can I drive that distance?

If the check engine light is flashing I would not. It will damage the catalytic converter and that's very expensive on this car. Does anybody in town have a generic code reader? Are there any part stores in town?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no part stores in town, and the one reader in town did not pick up the code.
Not sure why that reader would not pick it up any generic code reader should work unless it does not read pending history in the computer. But if the car is chugging and the light is blinking the only thing that will cause that is cylinder misfire. Have you had it tuned up recently? Did you just fill up with fuel recently?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I haven't had a tune up, but yes i just put fuel in it. But it didn't start chugging until the following day.
Will the car make it that distance?
It is possible that the fuel is contaminated and it took overnight for it to settle out to the bottom you might try some dry gas or gasoline additives in the tank to see if we'll straighten it out. I can't give you any guarantee that you can make the distance. if its water or some type of contaminant as possible the fuel additive might Straighten It Up.
Skyvisions
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician