Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Have an alarm that keeps sounding even though car is off and…

Customer Question
Have an alarm that...

Have an alarm that keeps sounding even though car is off and locked

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?

Its keyless entry and starter

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2007 XLE

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Actually the car is in another state, i am trying to help my daughter

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Do you charge for this service and if so how much

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
3/21/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Shawn Few ,
 replied 4 months ago
Shawn Few

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue

In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

I am here Sunday through Friday from around 5 am to 9 pm Eastern time.Zone If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

If you see a call request on your screen ,That is an automated feature the web site offers all customers.

we have sevral possibilities why it is triggered on , from the key fob battery, to lock switches on hood ,door, trunk, receiver ,to many to list here

You will need a Capable Factory scanner or equivalent to Read the Fault codes in the Modules needed here ,that is done by hooking up the scanner to your vehicle DLC data port connector and based on these faults we can pull up a Pin Point Troubleshoot and be Accurate ,If you do get the Faults Read ,Please post them back here for me and I can Help You Further on it and send you the pin point troubleshoot to perform or the most possible causes for it .

but in case it was glitch ,ask here to make sure the battery is good and holding 12 volts,she can check that at local parts store,like advance auto or auto zone ,and try below procedure

Master Reset

1-Disconnect Both Battery Cables ,Positive & Negative .

2- Touch Cables With Each Other For 60 Secs ( this will take any residual power in the Harness to Reset the Vehicle Modules )

3- Wait 30 min

4- Close all doors and trunk

5- Reconnect Battery Positive First

6- Use The Key in The Driver Side Door

Lock Cylinder to Lock it & Unlock,IF You have only a Key Fob ,use it to lock and unlock

7- Enter vehicle and Start it .

if that does not work

If more help is needed, Please use the reply Tab to continue our conversation.

, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click here or above).

You can Rate at Any Time and we Can Continue to work on your question as This Will Not Close out your Question.

I work on delivering the best answer and help but in some cases,

It can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

The car is my daughter's. She lives in another state. She called in the middle of the night because she could not get the alarm to stop going off. Sorry, but in context, the advice of a cable factory scanner was not very helpful. I believe she knows that the problem has to do with the hood sensor. She has been told by the dealership that they will not fix the problem because the fix involves shorting out the connection to the hood sensor and thereby disabling it. Do you have any other suggestions?
Toyota Mechanic: Shawn Few ,
 replied 4 months ago

No other advice ,with out a factory or equivalent scanner and faults retrieved to pull up a pin point troubleshoot ,or we are guessing and end up throwing parts at it ,so you saying not help on scanner is not possible if the correct one was used ,I understand your are away from the car but there is no fuse or relay to pull out to disable the system unfortunately

the dealer saying shorting out hood sensor plug and he want do it , not sure if that make any sense ,if the hood sensor was the issue and they checked it ,why not simply replace it,not expensive $45 part ,that does not make any sense to me ,unless I m not understanding what you saying on that ,explain more

but we also have door sensor, trunk, rf signal receiver, security module, door locks ,body control modules, one or more of these could cause it to trigger ,

I have been told that the repair for this is much more expensive, but I will have her check it out again. Can the dealership simply disable the alarm? If so are they generally unwilling to do this?
Toyota Mechanic: Shawn Few ,
 replied 4 months ago

it is not that they want do it ,they can not disable it even if they want to

we have a security module that tells car computer all sensors passed ,if one or more did not pass it will trigger the alarm horn , the horn does not have a fuse or relay to disable , the system is made that way from factory ,which makes it difficult when it comes to repairs ,all have to work for system to pass.

my experience with them is the security module and hood and door sensors , a dealer should know what causing this ,but I agree dealer usual want to see you the whole system ,take to gm dealer pay $100 to get a scan with a report showing faults and what needs changed and a quote .that would be my advice and fix it correctly so it want be an issue future