Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 99 4Runner and the sunroof won’t open. When I press…

Customer Question
I have a 99...

I have a 99 4Runner and the sunroof won’t open. When I press the button either way I hear a quick click and then nothing. I took the map light unit down to get to the motor and it looks like something is seized up cause when I push the button the gears start to turn but then slide over and rub the plastic housing. When I loosened the bolts holding the motor on and tried it, the gears turned just fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

I just got the truck a few weeks ago and am slowly fixing the things that were wrong with it. The noise is when the gears hit the plastic housing

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 4Runner yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yeah I’m fixing it all myself. I haven’t tried anything yet. I read some forums that a salvage motor would fix it but others that I need new Drive cables

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope, I think that’s it

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
3/21/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 1 month ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Have you tried a tool in place of the motor to see if that moves the sun roof?

In most cases what your describing it is most likely the cables in the channels that strip and bugger up. You will have to remove the glass and check the cables first. If you need further assistance let me know.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I tried using a screwdriver, just wasn’t quite sure how to jimmy it to try and move them. So remove the glass by the 4 bolts after taking the left and right interior trim pieces off? I don’t have to pull the whole headliner to get the cables out?

Nope if needed you can replace the unit with little headliner movement. To get at the glass nuts there may be a plastic strip you have to remove to gain access to them then use a light to see them. In the mean time I'll look for some pics for you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Right on. I found the 4 bolts already so if I don’t have to remove the whole headliner I should be able to try getting it taken care of after work today. Would I need new cables or just clean and lune up the ones in there? Or would it depend on the shape they’re in?

most likely new cables and rails , I believe they come together for your vehicle but I can check.

You can get just the cables from Toyota , I sent a link.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cool, I’ll see what mine look like and go from there. Worst case I think my junk yard said they had a whole unit so I could just swap the whole thing out

thst's another option and you can see the screws easily in the rails to remove and slide the unit out. not as bad as you thought eh. Let me know if you need further assistance.

If there is no other help I can give you , would you kindly rate my service so we can close this thread, thank you .

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician